SubjectRe: possible deadlock in send_sigio
Hi Matthew,

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 01:40:46PM -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 01:13:51PM -0400, Waiman Long wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > I'm a bit uncomfortable with having the _lockdep_ definition of whether
> > > a read lock is recursive depend on what the _implementation_ is.
> > > The locking semantics should be the same, no matter which architecture
> > > you're running on. If we rely on read locks being recursive in common
> > > code then we have a locking bug on architectures which don't use queued
> > > rwlocks.
> > >
> > > I don't know whether we should just tell the people who aren't using
> > > queued rwlocks that they have a new requirement or whether we should
> > > say that read locks are never recursive, but having this inconsistency
> > > is not a good idea!
> >
> > Actually, qrwlock is more restrictive. It is possible that systems with
> > qrwlock may hit deadlock which doesn't happens in other systems that use
> > recursive rwlock. However, the current lockdep code doesn't detect those
> > cases.
>
> Oops. I misread. Still, my point stands; we should have the same
> definition of how you're allowed to use locks from the lockdep point of
> view, even if the underlying implementation won't deadlock on a particular
> usage model.

I understand your point, but such a change will require us to notify
almost every developer using rwlocks and help them to get their code
right, and that requires time and work, while currently I want to focus
on the correctness of the detection, and without that being merged, we
don't have a way to detect those problems. So I think it's better that
we have the detection reviewed and tested for a while (given that x86
uses qrwlock, so it will get a lot chances for testing), after that we
we have the confidence (and the tool) to educate people the "new"
semantics of rwlock. So I'd like to keep this patch as it is for now.

> So I'd be happy with:
>
> + return lockdep_pretend_in_interrupt || in_interrupt();
>
> to allow the test-suite to test that it works as expected, without
> actually disabling interrupts while the testsuite runs.

I've used 'force_read_lock_recursive' for this purpose in this patch.

Regards,
Boqun

  Last update: 2020-06-16 02:14    [W:0.076 / U:0.136 seconds]