SubjectRe: RFC: a failing pm_runtime_get increases the refcnt?
On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:00 PM Geert Uytterhoeven
<geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 11:43 AM Andy Shevchenko
> <andy.shevchenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:34 PM Andy Shevchenko
> > <andy.shevchenko@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah, that is a well known issue with PM (I even have for a long time
> > > a coccinelle script, when I realized myself that there are a lot of
> > > cases like this, but someone else discovered this recently, like
> > > opening a can of worms).

> > > Rafael explained (again) recently this. I can't find it quickly, unfortunately.
> >
> > I _think_ this discussion, but may be it's simple another tentacle of
> > the same octopus.
> > https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-tegra/patch/20200520095148.10995-1-dinghao.liu@zju.edu.cn/
>
> Thanks, hadn't read that one! (so I was still at -1 from
> http://sweng.the-davies.net/Home/rustys-api-design-manifesto ;-)
>
> So "pm_runtime_put_noidle()" is the (definitive?) one to pair with a
> pm_runtime_get_sync() failure?

My biggest worry here is all those copycats jumping on the bandwagon,
and sending untested[*] patches that end up calling the wrong function.

[*] Several of them turned out to introduce trivial compile warnings, so
I now consider all patches authored by the same person as untested.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2020-06-14 12:05    [W:0.049 / U:0.332 seconds]