SubjectRe: RFC: a failing pm_runtime_get increases the refcnt?
On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:34 PM Andy Shevchenko
<andy.shevchenko@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:10 PM Wolfram Sang <wsa@kernel.org> wrote:
> > both in the I2C subsystem and also for Renesas drivers I maintain, I am
> > starting to get boilerplate patches doing some pm_runtime_put_* variant
> > because a failing pm_runtime_get is supposed to increase the ref
> > counters? Really? This feels wrong and unintuitive to me.
>
> Yeah, that is a well known issue with PM (I even have for a long time
> a coccinelle script, when I realized myself that there are a lot of
> cases like this, but someone else discovered this recently, like
> opening a can of worms).
>
> > I expect there
> > has been a discussion around it but I couldn't find it.
>
> Rafael explained (again) recently this. I can't find it quickly, unfortunately.

I _think_ this discussion, but may be it's simple another tentacle of
the same octopus.
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-tegra/patch/20200520095148.10995-1-dinghao.liu@zju.edu.cn/

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

  Last update: 2020-06-14 11:43    [W:0.050 / U:0.456 seconds]