SubjectRe: Good idea to rename files in include/uapi/ ?

Am 14.06.20 um 22:34 schrieb Stefano Brivio:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 21:41:17 +0200
> "Alexander A. Klimov" <grandmaster@al2klimov.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello there!
>>
>> At the moment one can't checkout a clean working directory w/o any
>> changed files on a case-insensitive FS as the following file names have
>> lower-case duplicates:
>
> They are not duplicates: matching extensions are lowercase, target
> extensions are uppercase. DSCP is the extension to set DSCP bits, dscp
> is the extension to match on those packet bits.
>
>> ➜ linux git:(96144c58abe7) git ls-files |sort -f |uniq -id
>> include/uapi/linux/netfilter/xt_CONNMARK.h
>> include/uapi/linux/netfilter/xt_DSCP.h
>> include/uapi/linux/netfilter/xt_MARK.h
>> include/uapi/linux/netfilter/xt_RATEEST.h
>> include/uapi/linux/netfilter/xt_TCPMSS.h
>> include/uapi/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_ECN.h
>> include/uapi/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_TTL.h
>> include/uapi/linux/netfilter_ipv6/ip6t_HL.h
>> net/netfilter/xt_DSCP.c
>> net/netfilter/xt_HL.c
>> net/netfilter/xt_RATEEST.c
>> net/netfilter/xt_TCPMSS.c
>> tools/memory-model/litmus-tests/Z6.0+pooncelock+poonceLock+pombonce.litmus
>> ➜ linux git:(96144c58abe7)
>>
>> Also even on a case-sensitive one VIm seems to have trouble with editing
>> both case-insensitively equal files at the same time.
>
> ...what trouble exactly?
vi -O2 include/uapi/linux/netfilter/xt_CONNMARK.h
include/uapi/linux/netfilter/xt_connmark.h

... opens the first file two times.

>> I was going to make a patch renaming the respective duplicates, but I'm
>> not sure:
>>
>> *Is it a good idea to rename files in include/uapi/ ?*
>
> I'm not sure it's a good idea to even use git on a case-insensitive
> filesystem. I'm curious, what is your use case?
My MacOS workstation. Now as I discovered the problem I've created a r/w
image with a c/s FS, but the need of that for a clean `git checkout .'
is IMAO pretty silly.

Don't worry, I run Linux, but only on my servers.

Also this issue should also apply to M$ Windows workstations. By the way
at work I actually use Git on Windows if needed and it also just works.
However the software I work on doesn't have this issue.

  Last update: 2020-06-15 01:08    [W:0.138 / U:0.352 seconds]