SubjectRe: [RFC] io_uring: add restrictions to support untrusted applications and guests
On 6/9/20 8:24 AM, Stefano Garzarella wrote:
> Hi Jens,
> Stefan and I have a proposal to share with io_uring community.
> Before implementing it we would like to discuss it to receive feedbacks and
> to see if it could be accepted:
>
> Adding restrictions to io_uring
> =====================================
> The io_uring API provides submission and completion queues for performing
> asynchronous I/O operations. The queues are located in memory that is
> accessible to both the host userspace application and the kernel, making it
> possible to monitor for activity through polling instead of system calls. This
> design offers good performance and this makes exposing io_uring to guests an
> attractive idea for improving I/O performance in virtualization.
>
> PoC and preliminary benchmarks
> ---------------------------
> We realized a PoC, using QEMU and virtio-blk device, to share io_uring
> CQ and SQ rings with the guest.
> QEMU initializes io_uring, registers the device (NVMe) fd through
> io_uring_register(2), and maps the rings in the guest memory.
> The virtio-blk driver uses these rings to send requests instead of using
> the standard virtqueues.
>
> The PoC implements a pure polling solution where the application is polling
> (IOPOLL enabled) in the guest and the sqpoll_kthread is polling in the host
> (SQPOLL and IOPOLL enabled).
>
> These are the encouraging results we obtained from this preliminary work;
> we used fio (rw=randread bs=4k) to measure the kIOPS on a NVMe device:
>
> - bare-metal
> iodepth
> | fio ioengine | 1 | 8 | 16 | 32 |
> |-------------------------------------------|----:|----:|----:|----:|
> | io_uring (SQPOLL + IOPOLL) | 119 | 550 | 581 | 585 |
> | io_uring (IOPOLL) | 122 | 502 | 519 | 538 |
>
> - QEMU/KVM guest (aio=io_uring)
> iodepth
> | virtio-blk | fio ioengine | 1 | 8 | 16 | 32 |
> |-----------------------|-------------------|----:|----:|----:|----:|
> | virtqueues | io_uring (IOPOLL) | 27 | 144 | 209 | 266 |
> | virtqueues + iothread | io_uring (IOPOLL) | 73 | 264 | 306 | 312 |
> | io_uring passthrough | io_uring (IOPOLL) | 104 | 532 | 577 | 585 |
>
> All guest experiments are using the QEMU io_uring backend with SQPOLL and
> IOPOLL enabled. The virtio-blk driver is modified to support blovk io_poll
> on both virtqueues and io_uring passthrough.
>
> Before developing this proof-of-concept further we would like to discuss
> io_uring changes required to restrict rings since this mechanism is a
> prerequisite for real-world use cases where guests are untrusted.
>
> Restrictions
> This document proposes io_uring API changes that safely allow untrusted
> applications or guests to use io_uring. io_uring's existing security model is
> that of kernel system call handler code. It is designed to reject invalid
> inputs from host userspace applications. Supporting guests as io_uring API
> [...]

I don't think this sounds unreasonable, but I'd really like to see a
prototype hacked up before rendering any further opinions on it :-)

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2020-06-14 17:52    [W:0.101 / U:0.676 seconds]