SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
Thanks John for reporting this,

On 12/06/2020 01:49, John Stultz wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 5:13 PM John Stultz <john.stultz@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 6:39 AM Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
>>> sound fixes for 5.8-rc1
>>>
>>> Here are last-minute fixes gathered before merge window close;
>>> a few fixes are for the core while the rest majority are driver
>>> fixes.
>>>
>>> * PCM locking annotation fixes and the possible self-lock fix
>>> * ASoC DPCM regression fixes with multi-CPU DAI
>>
>> Just as a heads up, we just recently got HDMI audio working on the
>> Dragonboard 845c (Vinod has patches he's sending out here in the next
>> few days), but they suddenly stopped working today with the following
>> error:
>> [ 13.110725] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
>> MultiMedia1 mapping ok
>> [ 13.119343] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
>> MultiMedia2 mapping ok
>> [ 13.127969] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
>> MultiMedia3 mapping ok
>> [ 13.135891] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: Compress ASoC:
>> snd-soc-dummy-dai <-> MultiMedia4 mapping ok
>> [ 13.145042] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: CPU DAI QUAT_MI2S_RX for
>> rtd HDMI Playback does not support capture
>> [ 13.154873] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: ASoC: can't create pcm HDMI
>> Playback :-22
>> [ 13.165634] snd-malloc: invalid device type 0
>> [ 13.170057] snd-malloc: invalid device type 0
>> [ 13.174888] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: Sound card registration failed
>> [ 13.181574] msm-snd-sdm845: probe of soc@0:sound failed with error -22
>>
>> I've bisected it down to the following commit from this pull req:
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b73287f0b0745961b14e5ebcce92cc8ed24d4d52
>>
>> Without this patch:
>> [ 13.056906] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
>> MultiMedia1 mapping ok
>> [ 13.075465] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
>> MultiMedia2 mapping ok
>> [ 13.092949] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: snd-soc-dummy-dai <->
>> MultiMedia3 mapping ok
>> [ 13.109704] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: Compress ASoC:
>> snd-soc-dummy-dai <-> MultiMedia4 mapping ok
>> [ 13.125584] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: i2s-hifi <-> QUAT_MI2S_RX mapping ok
>> [ 13.125621] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: multicodec <-> SLIMBUS_0_RX
>> mapping ok
>> [ 13.141682] msm-snd-sdm845 soc@0:sound: wcd934x_tx1 <->
>> SLIMBUS_0_TX mapping ok
>>
>> I've not managed to dig in with much analysis yet (possibly something
>> off with the current patches we have), but wanted to raise the issue
>> in case others start to see it too.
>
> I don't know the backgroun again, but would something like the
> following make sense?
> https://git.linaro.org/people/john.stultz/android-dev.git/commit/?h=dev/db845c-mainline-WIP&id=7e49b248db77b5ed29b2aa278268e77650c75482
>
> It avoids failing completely if playback or capture isn't found.

Can you please try these two patches, I think the problem is that FE
dailinks are always set to bidirectional, this two patches should fix it.

https://git.linaro.org/people/srinivas.kandagatla/linux.git/commit/?h=gapless/v2&id=bb7ce65a0ca1640cd9ff301c885f56ce00519834

https://git.linaro.org/people/srinivas.kandagatla/linux.git/commit/?h=gapless/v2&id=9b568e491f0410b453aaf5a147b75252a6943ffd

Once you confirm I can send them to list as fixes.

Thanks,
srini

> thanks
> -john

  Last update: 2020-06-12 13:43    [W:0.116 / U:0.116 seconds]