SubjectRe: [patch V9 10/39] x86/entry: Provide helpers for execute on irqstack
Date
Qian Cai <cai@lca.pw> writes:

>> > That's indeed odd. I try to reproduce and figure out what really breaks
>> > here.
>>
>> I checked your config file and I think I know where this comes from. Can
>> you plase disable KASAN just for testing purposes and compare before
>> after again?
>
> It turns out I'll need a few days to be able to get ahold of those
> affected systems again. I'll be reporting back as soon as possible.

I figured it out. It has nothing to do with asm_call_on...(). It's also
unrelated to page_owner. It's purely a KASAN issue.

KASAN trims stack traces with the help of filter_irq_stacks() which
relies on __irqentry_text_start/end

The entry rework moved the interrupt entry points out of the irqentry
section, which breaks that filter function.

I made it work again. Here are the numbers which make that obvious:

Mainline:
Unique stacks: 23403
Depot index: 244
Depot offset: 4208

x86/entry:
Unique stacks: 38835
Depot index: 464
Depot offset: 7616

x86/entry + fix:
Unique stacks: 23607
Depot index: 247
Depot offset: 14224

So with the non-working trimming this generates more unique stacks and
because they are not trimmed they become larger and eat more storage
space. The resulting average per stack shows that:

Mainline: 171 bytes per stack
x86/entry: 195 bytes per stack
x86/entry + fix: 172 bytes per stack

I'll point you to a test branch shortly.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2020-06-10 21:40    [W:0.140 / U:0.576 seconds]