SubjectRe: [RFC] Restrict the untrusted devices, to bind to only a set of "whitelisted" drivers
[+cc Greg, linux-kernel for wider exposure]

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 09:30:08AM -0700, Rajat Jain wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 7:18 PM Rajat Jain <rajatja@google.com> wrote:

> I haven't heard much on this proposal after the initial inputs (to
> which I responded). Essentially, I agree that IO-MMU and ACS
> restrictions need to be put in plcase. But I think we need this
> additionally. Does this look acceptable to you? I wanted to start
> spinning out the patches, but wanted to see if there are any pending
> comments or concerns.

I think it makes sense to code this up and see what it would look
like. The bare minimum seems like a driver "bind-to-external-devices"
bit that's visible in sysfs plus something in the driver probe path
that checks it. Neither is inherently PCI-specific, but maybe the
right place will become obvious when implementing it.

I'm still not 100% sure the device "external/untrusted" bit is the
right thing to check. If you don't trust a driver enough to expose it
to an external device, is it reasonable to trust it for internal
devices? It seems like one could attack the driver of even an
internal device like a NIC by controlling the data fed to it.

The existing use of "external/untrusted" for IOMMU protection is
different. There we're acknowledging that the *device* itself is
unknown and we need to protect ourselves from malicious DMA.

Here we're concerned about a *driver* that's completely under our
control. If we don't trust the driver, we could (a) fix the problems
in the driver, (b) change the driver so it handles external/untrusted
devices differently, or (c) not ship the driver at all.

I'm also not sure about the administrative details of this. Certain
versions of the driver may be trusted while others are untrusted.
That would all have to be managed in userspace, so it's not really our
problem, but it sounds like a hassle. Putting the information in the
driver itself would reduce that.

> [...]
> > we still want to support, and they can only plug in at untrusted
> > ports.

> > > As @Jean suggested in other thread, maybe sysfs attribute to flip after
> > > reboot is a good idea. One needs to be root, probably a good start. And
> > > you don't need to reboot to fix.

> > Reading this mail again, I think I now finally understand what Bjorn
> > was trying to say above, and I agree.
> >
> > > @Bjorn: Intel Root ports behave as follows: at least for servers:
> > >
> > > Translation Requests: Are always non-posted. So RP will always respond with
> > > UR if IOMMU.TRANSLATION_ENABLE=0
> > >
> > > Translated Requests can be non-posted (reads), or Posted (Writes).
> > > If IOMMU.TE=0, RP will return UR for reads, and drop writes.
> >
> > This is good info, thanks for confirming.

> > Agree. Additionally for untrusted ports, we should probably never
> > disable TB and never allow to enable ATS.

> > > I'm not sure how much difference it makes if IOMMU's behave for translation
> > > request and requests with AT=1 accordingly to ensure safety. What
> > > additional protection does Translation blocking provides if we do not turn
> > > on ATS for those untrusted devices.
> >
> > AFAICT nothing for Intel systems like you explained above. But maybe for others?

> > > with efforts like lockdown kernel, you ensure the entire kernel and drivers
> > > move to-gether.
> >
> > Thanks for pointing. That would be helpful, but I'm not sure if it
> > will address the problems I identified above.
> >
> > > My fear is if we don't keep this security properties small
> > > enough, the pure permutation and combinations would become a validation
> > > nightmare that by itself can't ensure what works and what doesn't.

> > > When you say "Admin should actually look at the various driver" what does
> > > that mean? I think we should give a simple security policy enforcement
> > > that is simple enough to keep up with. Until we get those device security
> > > enhancements are placed in practice.
> > >
> > > https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/pci-express/pcie-device-security-enhancements-spec.html
> >
> > This I agree with, but until we get those enhanced secured devices in
> > place, we need to build a solution for existing devices that can be
> > plugged on untrusted ports. Since currently there isn't a way for us
> > to verify device identity, any scheme that builds upon device provided
> > identification, falls apart as soon as we introduce "device spoofing"
> > in the threat model.
> >
> > The proposal allows a Linux distribution/system designer to choose
> > which drivers he wants to allow on the untrusted ports. I think this
> > is a fair ask - given that there isn't any other solution at this time
> > to address the issues I pointed out.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Rajat
> >
> > PS; A dimension that I think I'd like to mention again are the issues
> > arising out of "driver negligences" (like the vulnerabilities I
> > pointed above). These may not necessarily require a malicious device.

  Last update: 2020-06-02 01:26    [W:0.120 / U:0.148 seconds]