SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] kprobes updates for v5.8
On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 6:08 AM Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:

> include/linux/compiler.h | 53 +++++++++++++++++++++++

I have pulled this, but do we really want to add this to a header file
that is _so_ core that it gets included for basically every single
file built?

I don't even see those instrumentation_begin/end() things used
anywhere right now.

It seems excessive. That 53 lines is maybe not a lot, but it pushed
that header file to over 12kB, and while it's mostly comments, it's
extra IO and parsing basically for _every_ single file compiled in the
kernel.

For what appears to be absolutely zero upside right now, and I really
don't see why this should be in such a core header file!

I don't even see this as having anything at all to do with
"compiler.h" in the first place.

I really think we should think twice about making core header files
bigger like this. No, we're nowhere the disaster that C++ project
headers are, but tokenization and parsing is actually a pretty big
part of the build costs (which may surprise some people who think it's
all the fancy optimizations that cost a lot of CPU time).

Linus

  Last update: 2020-06-01 21:58    [W:0.069 / U:0.856 seconds]