SubjectRe: [RFC] seq_buf: Export symbols to external modules
Date

Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> writes:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 14:47:48 +0530
> Vaibhav Jain <vaibhav@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> Having these symbols exported to modules should simplify generating file
>> content for pseudo file systems like sysfs or procfs. Many of the in
>> kernel modules export atleast one such attribute file. Using seq_buf
>> api provides a safe way to populate the read buffers for these attrs
>> as these string buffers are PAGE_SIZE in length and a buggy module can
>> easily cause an overflow.
>>
>> My specific use-case is exporting a set of nvdimm specific flags from
>> papr_scm kernel module [1] via sysfs through a patch proposed at [2] and
>> using seq_buf should considerably simply my code as suggested by Mpe
>> at [3].
>>
>> [1] arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/papr_scm.c
>> [2] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvdimm/20200331143229.306718-2-vaibhav@linux.ibm.com
>> [3] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvdimm/878sjetcis.fsf@mpe.ellerman.id.au
>
> This patch should be added to a patch series that needs it. Then I'll give
> my ack to it. That way, there's a reason to export them.
Thanks Steve,

I have posted a patch series at
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvdimm/20200508104922.72565-1-vaibhav@linux.ibm.com/
titled "powerpc/papr_scm: Add support for reporting nvdimm health" that
contains a patch to export seq_buf_printf() viz patch
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-nvdimm/20200508104922.72565-3-vaibhav@linux.ibm.com/
titled "seq_buf: Export seq_buf_printf() to external modules"

~ Vaibhav

> -- Steve

  Last update: 2020-05-08 12:56    [W:0.048 / U:0.044 seconds]