SubjectRe: Some -serious- BPF-related litmus tests
On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 09:38:35PM -0700, Andrii Nakryiko wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 2:48 PM Joel Fernandes <joel@joelfernandes.org> wrote:

> > > This is needed to ensure that producer can reliably detect whether it
> > > needs to trigger poll notification.
> >
> > Boqun's question is on the consumer side though. Are you saying that on the
> > consumer side, the loads prior to the smp_store_release() on the consumer
> > side should have been seen by the consumer? You are already using
> > smp_load_acquire() so that should be satisified already because the
> > smp_load_acquire() makes sure that the smp_load_acquire()'s happens before
> > any future loads and stores.
>
> Consumer is reading two things: producer_pos and each record's length
> header, and writes consumer_pos. I re-read this paragraph many times,
> but I'm still a bit confused on what exactly you are trying to say.

This is what I was saying in the other thread. I think you missed that
comment. If you are adding litmus documentation, at least it should be clear
what memory ordering is being verified. Both me and Boqun tried to remove a
memory barrier each and the test still passes. So what exactly are you
verifying from a memory consistency standpoint? I know you have those various
rFail things and conditions - but I am assuming the goal here is to verify
memory consistency as well. Or are we just throwing enough memory barriers at
the problem to make sure the test passes, without understanding exactly what
ordering is needed?

> Can you please specify in each case release()/acquire() of which
> variable you are talking about?

I don't want to speculate and confuse the thread more. I am afraid the burden
of specifying what the various release/acquire orders is on the author of the
code introducing the memory barriers ;-). That is, IMHO you should probably add
code comments in the test about why a certain memory barrier is needed.

That said, I need to do more diligence and read the actual BPF ring buffer
code to understand what you're modeling. I will try to make time to do that.

thanks!

- Joel

  Last update: 2020-05-29 19:32    [W:0.079 / U:0.048 seconds]