SubjectRe: MRP netlink interface
On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 01:14:35PM +0000, Horatiu Vultur wrote:
> The 05/25/2020 13:26, Nikolay Aleksandrov wrote:
> > EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe
> >
> > On 25/05/2020 13:03, Michal Kubecek wrote:
> > > On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 11:28:27AM +0000, Horatiu Vultur wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > No, I would rather say it's an example showing why passing data
> > > structures as binary data via netlink is a bad idea. I definitely
> > > wouldn't advice this approach for any new interface. One of the
> > > strengths of netlink is the ability to use structured and extensible
> > > messages.

> > > Silently ignoring unrecognized attributes in userspace requests is what
> > > most kernel netlink based interfaces have been doing traditionally but
> > > it's not really a good idea. Essentially it ties your hands so that you
> > > can only add new attributes which can be silently ignored without doing
> > > any harm, otherwise you risk that kernel will do something different
> > > than userspace asked and userspace does not even have a way to find out
> > > if the feature is supported or not. (IIRC there are even some places
> > > where ignoring an attribute changes the nature of the request but it is
> > > still ignored by older kernels.)
> > >
> > > That's why there have been an effort, mostly by Johannes Berg, to
> > > introduce and promote strict checking for new netlink interfaces and new
> > > attributes in existing netlink attributes. If you don't have strict
> > > checking for unknown attributes enabled yet, there isn't much that can
> > > be done for already released kernels but I would suggest to enable it as
> > > soon as possible.
> > >
> > > Michal
>
> Thanks for the detail explanation. Currently this is in net-next so I
> would try to change it.
> Can you point me to some code that is using this strict checking for
> netlink attributes? Just to have a better understanding of it.

AFAICS you are using nla_parse_nested() in br_mrp_parse() so that the
validation should be strict, including rejection of unknown attributes.
See the comments at nla_parse() and nla_parse_deprecated() and
enum netlink_validation in include/net/netlink.h for details.

Michal

> > +1, we don't have strict checking for the bridge main af spec attributes, but
> > you could add that for new nested interfaces that need to be parsed like the
> > above

  Last update: 2020-05-25 15:18    [W:0.041 / U:0.148 seconds]