SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Driver core fixes for 5.7-rc7 - take 2
On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 2:12 PM Sasha Levin <sashal@kernel.org> wrote:

> (and I'd like to see the reverts too, so that I could apply that revert
> to Stable trees as well. If a revert doesn't show up in git log we might
> miss doing a backport of it).

Plain "git log" never simplifies anything at all.

Only when you ask for simplification will "git log" start skipping things.

That's things like "--grep=XYZ" to only ask for something that has a
pattern in the commit log. Or asking for a certain author. That's the
simplest kind of log simplification.

But saying "I'm only interested in changes to this pathname" is
another "please give me simplified history, only as it is relevant to
this pathname". And then it does exactly that. Including pruning out
whole branches that aren't relevant.

Trust me, it's the behavior you want. There's a reason we have
"--full-history", but it's not enabled by default.

But if you do want full history, you can still say so.

Linus

  Last update: 2020-05-25 00:29    [W:0.083 / U:0.040 seconds]