SubjectRe: signal quality and cable diagnostic
On Tue 2020-05-12 15:04:18, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > > As for getting / setting the threshold, perhaps ETHTOOL_MSG_LINKINFO_GET
> > > and ETHTOOL_MSG_LINKINFO_SET. Unless you expect more configurable
> > > parameters like this in which case we may want to consider adding new
> > > request type (e.g. link params or link management).
> >
> > Currently in my short term todo are:
> > - SQI
>

> > - PHY undervoltage
> > - PHY overtemerature
>
> Do you only have alarms? Or are current values available for voltage
> and temperature?
>
> Both of these would fit hwmon. It even has the option to set the alarm
> thresholds. The advantage of hwmon is that they are then just more

> sensors. You could even include the temperature sensor into a thermal zone to influence
> cooling. There are a couple of PHYs which already do hwmon, so there is code you can
> copy.

Yes, hwmon can do a lot of stuff. OTOH figuring out "what hwmon device corresponds to what
network device is going to be tricky, and Im not sure if we want utilities like mii-tool to
start using hwmon interfaces...

Best regards,
Pavel

  Last update: 2020-05-24 23:29    [W:0.062 / U:0.092 seconds]