SubjectRe: lockdep trace with xfs + mm in it from 5.7.0-rc5
On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 01:43:08PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:30:27AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 04:13:12PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > > [cc linux-xfs]

> > > It's a known false-positive. An inode can't simultaneously be getting
> > > reclaimed due to zero refcount /and/ be the target of a getxattr call.
> > > Unfortunately, lockdep can't tell the difference, and it seems a little
> > > strange to set NOFS on the allocation (which increases the chances of a
> > > runtime error) just to quiet that down.
> >
> > __GFP_NOLOCKDEP is the intended flag to telling memory allocation
> > that lockdep is stupid.
> >
> > However, it seems that the patches that were in progress some months
> > ago to convert XFS to kmalloc interfaces and using GFP flags
> > directly stalled - being able to mark locations like this with
> > __GFP_NOLOCKDEP was one of the main reasons for getting rid of all
> > the internal XFS memory allocation wrappers...
>
> Question is, should I spend time adding a GFP_NOLOCKDEP bandaid to XFS
> or would my time be better spent reviewing your async inode reclaim
> series to make this go away for real?

Heh. I started to write that async reclaim would make this go away,
but then I realised it won't because we still do an XFS_ILOCK_EXCL
call in xfs_inode_reclaim() right at the end to synchronise with
anything that was blocked in the ILOCK during a lockless lookup
waiting for reclaim to drop the lock after setting ip->i_ino = 0.

So that patchset doesn't make the lockdep issues go away. I still
need to work out if we can get rid of that ILOCK cycling in
xfs_reclaim_inode() by changing the lockless lookup code, but that's
a separate problem...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

  Last update: 2020-05-24 01:36    [W:0.061 / U:0.628 seconds]