    Subject0.33 ms latency performance bottlenecks
    Date
    I tried Renoise, a good tracker app with 0.33 ms latency. It was really
    good. Tech Trance in the 90s was all about tracking.

    ( a little playlist here for interested
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpA7__w8yeJ0g6cF0m_y_h-HWjzCNTuWm )

    Latency on the amiga at that time was very low. More like 0.33 ms
    latency, or even 0.2.

    We want this kind of latency again. Also having in mind a few samples
    for clocking the D/A well if necessary.

    D/A could be a 1bit converter with few analogue components on the
    output, maybe simply a 1 pole diode filter, if possible. This could work
    well on a bitstream shifted up in frequency.

    It seems to use almost a whole cpu just at this latency. It works well
    though.

    One might want to look into performance bottlenecks here, hardware aid,
    or cpu instruction set enhancements. Inner loop optimization beyond HZ
    timer etc, which is at 91 here.

    Serene Greetings,
    Ywe Cærlyn
    I-T Shed Studio.

      Last update: 2020-05-19 15:46    [W:4.937 / U:0.300 seconds]