SubjectRe: [patch V6 12/37] x86/entry: Provide idtentry_entry/exit_cond_rcu()
On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 1:20 PM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

> Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> writes:
> > Andy Lutomirski <luto@kernel.org> writes:

> >> Why is this conditional? That is, couldn't we do this for all
> >> idtentry_enter() calls instead of just for page faults? Evil things
> >> like NMI shouldn't go through this path at all.
> >
> > I thought about that, but then ended up with the conclusion that RCU
> > might be unhappy, but my conclusion might be fundamentally wrong.
>
> It's about this:
>
> rcu_nmi_enter()
> {
> if (!rcu_is_watching()) {
> make it watch;
> } else if (!in_nmi()) {
> do_magic_nohz_dyntick_muck();
> }
>
> So if we do all irq/system vector entries conditional then the
> do_magic() gets never executed. After that I got lost...

I'm also baffled by that magic, but I'm also not suggesting doing this
to *all* entries -- just the not-super-magic ones that use
idtentry_enter().

Paul, what is this code actually trying to do?

  Last update: 2020-05-19 22:25    [W:0.163 / U:0.328 seconds]