SubjectRe: Default enable RCU list lockdep debugging with PROVE_RCU
On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:03:21AM -0400, Qian Cai wrote:

> >> Alternatively, how about having
> >>
> >> PROVE_RCU_LIST=n if DEBUG_AID_FOR_SYZBOT
> >>
> >> since it is only syzbot can’t keep up with it?
> >
> > Sound good to me, assuming that this works for the syzkaller guys.
> > Or could there be a "select PROVE_RCU_LIST" for the people who would
> > like to test it.
> >
> > Alternatively, if we revert d13fee049fa8 from -next, I could provide
> > you a script that updates your .config to set both RCU_EXPERT and
> > PROVE_RCU_LIST.
> >
> > There are a lot of ways to appraoch this.
> >
> > So what would work best for everyone?
>

> If PROVE_RCU_LIST=n if DEBUG_AID_FOR_SYZBOT works for syzbot guys, that would be great, so other testing agents could still report/fix those RCU-list bugs and then pave a way for syzbot to return back once all those false positives had been sorted out.

On that, I must defer to the syzbot guys.

> Otherwise, “select PROVE_RCU_LIST” *might* be better than buried into RCU_EXPERT where we will probably never saw those false positives been addressed since my configs does not cover a wide range of subsystems and probably not many other bots would enable RCU_EXPERT.

Yet another option would be to edit your local kernel/rcu/Kconfig.debug
and change the code to the following:

config PROVE_RCU_LIST
def_bool y
help
Enable RCU lockdep checking for list usages. It is default
enabled with CONFIG_PROVE_RCU.

Removing the RCU_EXPERT dependency would not go over at all well with
some people whose opinions are difficult to ignore. ;-)

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2020-05-14 17:34    [W:0.414 / U:0.872 seconds]