SubjectRe: memory offline infinite loop after soft offline

> On Oct 20, 2019, at 11:16 PM, Naoya Horiguchi <n-horiguchi@ah.jp.nec.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 07:56:09AM -0400, Qian Cai wrote:
>>

>> On Oct 18, 2019, at 2:35 AM, Naoya Horiguchi <n-horiguchi@ah.jp.nec.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> You're right, then I don't see how this happens. If the error hugepage was
>> isolated without having PG_hwpoison set, it's unexpected and problematic.
>> I'm testing myself with v5.4-rc2 (simply ran move_pages12 and did hotremove
>> /hotadd)
>> but don't reproduce the issue yet. Do we need specific kernel version/
>> config
>> to trigger this?
>>

>> This is reproducible on linux-next with the config. Not sure if it is
>> reproducible on x86.
>>
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cailca/linux-mm/master/powerpc.config
>>
>> and kernel cmdline if that matters
>>
>> page_poison=on page_owner=on numa_balancing=enable \
>> systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1 debug_guardpage_minorder=1 \
>> page_alloc.shuffle=1
>
> Thanks for the info.
>

>> BTW, where does the code set PG_hwpoison for the head page?
>
> Precisely speaking, soft offline only sets PG_hwpoison after the target
> hugepage is successfully dissolved (then it's not a hugepage any more),
> so PG_hwpoison is set on the raw page in set_hwpoison_free_buddy_page().
>
> In move_pages12 case, madvise(MADV_SOFT_OFFLINE) is called for the range
> of 2 hugepages, so the expected result is that page offset 0 and 512
> are marked as PG_hwpoison after injection.
>
> Looking at your dump_page() output, the end_pfn is page offset 1
> ("page:c00c000800458040" is likely to point to pfn 0x11601.)
> The page belongs to high order buddy free page, but doesn't have
> PageBuddy nor PageHWPoison because it was not the head page or
> the raw error page.
>
>> Unfortunately, this does not solve the problem. It looks to me that in
>> soft_offline_huge_page(), set_hwpoison_free_buddy_page() will only set
>> PG_hwpoison for buddy pages, so the even the compound_head() has no PG_hwpoison
>> set.
>
> Your analysis is totally correct, and this behavior will be fixed by
> the change (https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/10/17/551) in Oscar's rework.
> The raw error page will be taken off from buddy system and the other
> subpages are properly split into lower orderer pages (we'll properly
> manage PageBuddy flags). So all possible cases would be covered by
> branches in __test_page_isolated_in_pageblock.

Naoya, Oscar, it looks like this series was stuck.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/10/17/551

I can still reproduce this issue as today. Maybe it is best we could post a single patch (which one?) to fix the loop first?

  Last update: 2020-05-15 04:47    [W:0.111 / U:0.172 seconds]