SubjectRe: linux-next: manual merge of the vfs tree with the parisc-hd tree
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 10:22:04PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 12:33:05AM +0000, Luis Chamberlain wrote:

> > > Kernel/sysctl.c contains more than 190 interface files, and there are a
> > > large number of config macro controls. When modifying the sysctl interface
> > > directly in kernel/sysctl.c , conflicts are very easy to occur.
> > >
> > > At the same time, the register_sysctl_table() provided by the system can
> > > easily add the sysctl interface, and there is no conflict of kernel/sysctl.c
> > > .
> > >
> > > Should we add instructions in the patch guide (coding-style.rst
> > > submitting-patches.rst):
> > > Preferentially use register_sysctl_table() to add a new sysctl interface,
> > > centralize feature codes, and avoid directly modifying kernel/sysctl.c ?
> >
> > Yes, however I don't think folks know how to do this well. So I think we
> > just have to do at least start ourselves, and then reflect some of this
> > in the docs. The reason that this can be not easy is that we need to
> > ensure that at an init level we haven't busted dependencies on setting
> > this. We also just don't have docs on how to do this well.
> >
> > > In addition, is it necessary to transfer the architecture-related sysctl
> > > interface to arch/xxx/kernel/sysctl.c ?
> >
> > Well here's an initial attempt to start with fs stuff in a very
> > conservative way. What do folks think?
> >
> > [...]
> > +static unsigned long zero_ul;
> > +static unsigned long long_max = LONG_MAX;
>
> I think it'd be nice to keep these in one place for others to reuse,
> though that means making them non-static. (And now that I look at them,
> I thought they were supposed to be const?)

So much spring cleaning to do. I can add the const and share it.
It seems odd to stuff this into a sysctl.h, types.h doesn't seem
right... I can't think of something proper, so I'll just move them
to sysctl.h for now.

Any thought on the approach though? I mean, I realize that this will
require more of the subsystem specific folks to look at the code and
review, but if this seems fair, I'll get the ball rolling.

Luis

  Last update: 2020-05-12 07:44    [W:0.083 / U:1.160 seconds]