commit 6d25be5782e482eb93e3de0c94d0a517879377d0
Author: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>
Date: Wed Mar 13 17:55:48 2019 +0100

sched/core, workqueues: Distangle worker accounting from rq lock

The delays have varied in length from ~20 seconds to seeminingly
indefinitely long (the longest I've waited before pressing the start
button on the machine is 6 minutes). With kernels prior to this commit,
my machine powers off within 4 seconds after the halt invocation.

I first noticed this problem with the stable kernel 5.5.9 that I built
with Linux From Scratch (LFS). My previous LFS system had stable kernel
4.20.12 and there was no such delay. I also tried stable kernel 5.6.4
and the delay/hang also happens with it. After consulting with LFS
developers I cloned the mainline kernel repository and determined that
problem happens with commit with v5.2 (0ecfebd2) but not with v5.1
(e93c9c99), then ran the bisection with those boundaries.

With mainline kernels (I only tried with v.5.3 and then commits between
v5.1 and v5.2 during the bisection) there are no kernel messages during
the delay/hang, but with 5.5.9 and 5.6.4, when the delay is longer than
two minutes, a message like the following is displayed:

sr 5:0:0:0: tag#21 timing out command, waited 120s

repeating every 2 minutes with a different tag#. This made me think the
problem was due to the cdrom device in the machine, but when I compiled
5.3.0 without /dev/cdrom (by not setting CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR, which also
left CONFIG_CDROM unset), the delay/hang still happened.

The length of the delay seems to depend not only on the kernel but also
the number or kind of programs used. The 20 second delay has happened
only went I invoke `shutdown -h now' (which runs `halt -d -f -i -p' in
LFS) immediately after booting. When I ran `more' in one tty and
`shutdown -h now' in another, the machine powered off in less than two
minutes. But after running emacs in a tty (and then killing it), the
delay was seemingly indefinite, as it is with my usual workflow with X,
emacs, firefox, etc. running (but I always kill them before invoking
`shutdown -h now' from a tty). During the bisection I tested each
kernel build by running startx, emacs, firefox, killing these, then
`shutdown -h now'. I've attached the git log of the bisection augmented
with power-off timing notes. (FWIW, when I reboot the machine with
`shutdown -r now' there is no delay with the problematic kernels.)

One piece of advice I got from the LFS mailing list was to try and
revert the above commit pinpointed by the bisection in a recent mainline
or stable kernel. But it fails to revert cleanly (using `patch -R') in
such kernels and I am too unfamiliar with the code to try and revert it
manually.

Another pointer I got was to the recent commit 62849a96, which fixes a
bug due to the commit that causes my problem. I applied 62849a96 to
5.6.4, but it did not prevent the delay/hang.

I've found nothing on the web about this problem, so it seems to be
rare. That's why I'm seeking your help (on the advice of LFS
developers). In addition to the bisection log I've also attached the
kernel 5.1.0 config file (I used that during the bisection, accepting
all defaults of later options, as with the configs of 5.5.9 and 5.6.4)
and the contents of /proc/cpuinfo. Please let me know if there's any
other information I can provide or anything else I can do to help with
debugging this issue. I hope you can fix it.

Thanks,
Steve Berman

[unhandled content-type:application/text/plain][unhandled content-type:application/text/plain]processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 1225.910
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 0
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 22
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp flush_l1d
bugs : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf
bogomips : 6384.00
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 1241.829
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 1
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 2
initial apicid : 2
[...]

processor : 2
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 1225.126
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 2
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 4
initial apicid : 4
[...]

processor : 3
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 1238.843
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 3
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 6
initial apicid : 6
[...]

processor : 4
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 1228.428
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 4
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 8
initial apicid : 8
[...]

processor : 5
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 2342.043
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 5
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 10
initial apicid : 10
[...]

processor : 6
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 1288.277
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 0
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
[...]

processor : 7
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 3584.376
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 1
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 3
initial apicid : 3
[...]

processor : 8
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 3157.676
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 2
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 5
initial apicid : 5
[...]

processor : 9
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 1253.679
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 3
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 7
initial apicid : 7
[...]

processor : 10
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 4152.576
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 4
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 9
initial apicid : 9
[...]

processor : 11
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 158
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xaa
cpu MHz : 3966.149
cache size : 12288 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 5
cpu cores : 6
apicid : 11
initial apicid : 11
[...]

  Last update: 2020-05-01 17:49    [W:0.110 / U:0.648 seconds]