SubjectOn trace_*_rcuidle functions in modules
Hey folks,
So recently I was looking at converting some drivers to be loadable
modules instead of built-in only, and one of my patches just landed in
-next and started getting build error reports.

It ends up, recently in the merge window, the driver I was converting
to module switched a trace_*() function to trace_*_rcuidle() to fix a
bug. Now when building as a module, if tracing is configured on, it
can't seem to find the trace_*_rcuidle() symbol.

This is because, as you are aware, we don't declare trace_*_rcuidle
functions in modules - and haven't for quite some time:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20120905062306.GA14756@leaf/

I wanted to better understand the background rationale for that patch,
to understand if not exporting the rcu_idle_exit and rcu_idle_enter,
calls was because they weren't used or if it was a more intentional
decision to avoid allowing modules to use them.

Would it be reasonable to revisit that patch? Or is there some
recommended alternative solution?

thanks
-john

  Last update: 2020-04-15 04:21    [W:0.070 / U:0.416 seconds]