SubjectRe: [patch] mm, oom: prevent soft lockup on memcg oom for UP systems
On Thu, 12 Mar 2020, Tetsuo Handa wrote:

> > The cond_resched() here is needed if the iteration is lengthy depending on
> > the number of descendant memcgs already.
>
> No. cond_resched() here will become no-op if CONFIG_PREEMPTION=y and current
> thread has realtime priority.

It's helpful without CONFIG_PREEMPTION for excessively long memcg
iterations to avoid starving need_resched.

> > schedule_timeout_killable(1) does not make any guarantees that current
> > will be scheduled after the victim or oom_reaper on UP systems.
>
> The point of schedule_timeout_*(1) is to guarantee that current thread
> will yield CPU to other threads even if CONFIG_PREEMPTION=y and current
> thread has realtime priority case. There is no guarantee that current
> thread will be rescheduled immediately after a sleep is irrelevant.
>

> > If you have an alternate patch to try, we can test it. But since this
> > cond_resched() is needed anyway, I'm not sure it will change the result.
>
> schedule_timeout_killable(1) is an alternate patch to try; I don't think
> that this cond_resched() is needed anyway.

You are suggesting schedule_timeout_killable(1) in shrink_node_memcgs()?

  Last update: 2020-03-11 23:15    [W:0.108 / U:0.104 seconds]