SubjectRe: [LSFMMBPF 2021] A status update
On 12/15/20 1:23 PM, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Sat 12-12-20 17:29:57, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 10:48:53AM -0500, Josef Bacik wrote:
>>> We on the program committee hope everybody has been able to stay safe and
>>> healthy during this challenging time, and look forward to being able to see
>>> all of you in person again when it is safe.
>>>
>>> The current plans for LSFMMBPF 2021 are to schedule an in person conference
>>> in H2 (after June) of 2021. The tentative plan is to use the same hotel
>>> that we had planned to use for 2020, as we still have contracts with them.
>>> However clearly that is not set in stone. The Linux Foundation has done a
>>> wonderful job of working with us to formulate a plan and figure out the
>>> logistics that will work the best for everybody, I really can't thank them
>>> enough for their help.
>>
>> Thank you all for doing your best in the face of this disruption. I
>> really appreciate all the work you're putting in, and I can't wait to
>> see you all again in person.
>>
>> I hosted a Zoom call yesterday on the topic of Page Folios, and uploaded
>> the video.
>
> Thanks for organizing this. I couldn't attent directly but I have
> watched the video. I think this was a useful meeting.
>
>> There was interest expressed in the call on doing a follow-up
>> call on the topic of GUP (get_user_pages and friends). It would probably
>> also be good to have meetings on other topics.
>
> I hope I will have time to join this one.
>
>> I don't want this to be seen in any way as taking away from LSFMMBPF.
>> I see Zoom calls as an interim solution to not having face-to-face
>> meetings.
>
> Agreed!
>
>> I'd like to solicit feedback from this group on:
>>
>> - Time of day. There is no good time that suits everyone around
>> the world. With developers in basically every inhabited time zone, the
>> call will definitely take place in the middle of somebody's night, and
>> during somebody else's normal family time. Publishing the recordings
>> helps ameliorate some of this, but I feel we should shift the time
>> around. Having it at the same time of day helps people fit it into
>> their schedule of other meetings (and meals), but I think the benefits
>> of allowing more people to participate live outweighs the costs.
>
> Hard question without any good answer. You can rotate preferred timezone
> which should spread the suffering.

What I found useful is to have a fixed schedule for the actual talk, but
keep the recording online for an extended time (say 24h). And require
the presenters to be available in a break-out room for any questions for
an extended time, too.
That way any participant can choose which time would suit him best to
watch the presentation, _and_ being reasonably sure that he can fire up
questions later on.

>> - Schedule. Friday's probably a bad day to have it, as it ends up
>> being Saturday for some people. It can move around the week too.
>> Also, probably wise to not have it over Christmas as most developers
>> have that period as family time.
>
> Yes, Friday tends to be not great. I think mid week should work better
> as the overalap
>
>> - Topics. I'm sure there's no shortage of things to discuss! I'm
>> happy to organise meetings for people even on topics I have no direct
>> interest in.
>
> Thanks for organizing this. I am pretty sure poeple will land on topics
> either in the call or over email.
>
>> And most urgently, when should we have the GUP meeting? On the call,
>> I suggested Friday the 8th of January, but I'm happy to set something
>> up for next week if we'd like to talk more urgently.
>
> I am unlikely to be able to join before the end of year so if you ask
> me.
>
> Thanks again and fingers crossed we can actually have a face to face
> meeting sometimes during next year.

I'd side with Michal here; having something this year will be
challenging, as quite some ppl (myself included) will be on holiday.
Rather move it to start of next year; mid-February would be a good time,
giving enough room to organize etc.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke Kernel Storage Architect
hare@suse.de +49 911 74053 688

  Last update: 2020-12-15 14:48    [W:0.041 / U:0.128 seconds]