    SubjectRe: [RFC net-next 00/28] ndo_ioctl rework
    Date
    Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org> writes:

    >> For the wireless drivers, removing the old drivers
    >> instead of just the dead code might be an alternative, depending
    >> on whether anyone thinks there might still be users.
    >
    > Dunno if you want to dig into removal with a series like this,
    > anything using ioctls will be pretty old (with the exception
    > of what you separated into ndo_eth_ioctl). You may get bogged
    > down.

    I would very much like to get rid of unused ancient wireless drivers but
    the problem is that it's next to impossible to know if someone still
    uses a driver, or if the driver is even working. For example, few months
    back I suggested removing one driver which I thought to be completely
    unused (forgot already the name of the driver) and to my big surprise
    there was still a user, and he reported it working with a recent kernel
    release.

    So I don't know what to do. Should we try adding a warning like below? :)

    "This ancient driver will be removed from the kernel in 2022, but if
    it still works send report to <...@...> to avoid the removal."

    How do other subsystems handle ancient drivers?

    --
    https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

    https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches

      Last update: 2020-11-08 12:23    [W:2.708 / U:0.116 seconds]