SubjectRe: [tip: perf/kprobes] locking/atomics: Regenerate the atomics-check SHA1's
On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 1:23 AM Borislav Petkov <bp@alien8.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 08, 2020 at 10:05:21AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > So that mode change to executable was intentional, as mentioned in the
> > changelog.
>
> Yeah, I thought we don't make them executable in the tree but I guess we
> do, at least most of them, from looking at git ls-files *.sh output.

We do try mark scripts executable, but you may have been misled by the
fact that we then try to avoid _depending_ on that during the build.

That's mostly because some people still use old workflows with
patches, and the executable bit will be lost if you apply a patch
without the proper git tools.

(I think we've also had cases where people were developing on no-exec
filesystems etc).

So while we try to mark scripts executable, we then actually generally
execute them using an explicit interpreter invocation anyway (ie using

$(CONFIG_SHELL) "some-script-path"

or similar).

Linus

  Last update: 2020-11-08 18:36    [W:0.074 / U:0.984 seconds]