SubjectRe: [char-misc-next 13/13] mei: virtio: virtualization frontend driver
On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 09:18:04PM +0000, Winkler, Tomas wrote:

> > On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 02:51:47PM +0300, Tomas Winkler wrote:
> > > +#ifndef VIRTIO_ID_MEI
> > > +#define VIRTIO_ID_MEI 0xFFFE /* virtio mei */ #endif
> >
> > Just noticed now that this driver landed upstream. Can I ask that you guys
> > please register IDs with the virtio TC and not just pick a number at random?
> > In particular this is way outside allowed range.
> >
> > IDs should also be listed in include/uapi/linux/virtio_ids.h
> >
> > If people just pick random numbers like this collistions are unavoidable.
> >
> > List of IDs is part of virtio spec, chapter "Device Types".
> >
> > Please do this change now before this goes out to production!
> Okay, this was assigned by ACRN, my impression was it's already registered.
> Will take care of.
> Thanks
> Tomas

Found this:
https://projectacrn.github.io/latest/developer-guides/hld/hld-virtio-devices.html

Supported Virtio Devices
All the BE virtio drivers are implemented using the ACRN virtio APIs, and the FE drivers are reusing the standard Linux FE virtio drivers. For the devices with FE drivers available in the Linux kernel, they should use standard virtio Vendor ID/Device ID and Subsystem Vendor ID/Subsystem Device ID. For other devices within ACRN, their temporary IDs are listed in the following table.

Table 5 Virtio Devices without existing FE drivers in Linux
virtio device Vendor ID Device ID Subvendor ID Subdevice ID
RPMB 0x8086 0x8601 0x8086 0xFFFF
HECI 0x8086 0x8602 0x8086 0xFFFE
audio 0x8086 0x8603 0x8086 0xFFFD
IPU 0x8086 0x8604 0x8086 0xFFFC
TSN/AVB 0x8086 0x8605 0x8086 0xFFFB
hyper_dmabuf 0x8086 0x8606 0x8086 0xFFFA
HDCP 0x8086 0x8607 0x8086 0xFFF9
COREU 0x8086 0x8608 0x8086 0xFFF8
I2C 0x8086 0x860a 0x8086 0xFFF6
GPIO 0x8086 0x8609 0x8086 0xFFF7

so IIUC what you are using is a temporary ID which is fine for
experimentation but not for production.

Note it does take a couple of weeks for a TC to vote on reserving an ID
so pls do not delay this too much.

--
MST

  Last update: 2020-11-26 11:00    [W:0.100 / U:0.188 seconds]