SubjectRe: Pinning ZONE_MOVABLE pages
On 11/20/20 12:27 PM, Pavel Tatashin wrote:
> Recently, I encountered a hang that is happening during memory hot
> remove operation. It turns out that the hang is caused by pinned user
> pages in ZONE_MOVABLE.
>
> Kernel expects that all pages in ZONE_MOVABLE can be migrated, but
> this is not the case if a user applications such as through dpdk
> libraries pinned them via vfio dma map. Kernel keeps trying to
> hot-remove them, but refcnt never gets to zero, so we are looping
> until the hardware watchdog kicks in.
>
> We cannot do dma unmaps before hot-remove, because hot-remove is a
> slow operation, and we have thousands for network flows handled by
> dpdk that we just cannot suspend for the duration of hot-remove
> operation.
>
> The solution is for dpdk to allocate pages from a zone below
> ZONE_MOVAVLE, i.e. ZONE_NORMAL/ZONE_HIGHMEM, but this is not possible.
> There is no user interface that we have that allows applications to
> select what zone the memory should come from.
>
> I've spoken with Stephen Hemminger, and he said that DPDK is moving in
> the direction of using transparent huge pages instead of HugeTLBs,
> which means that we need to allow at least anonymous, and anonymous
> transparent huge pages to come from non-movable zones on demand.
>
> Here is what I am proposing:
> 1. Add a new flag that is passed through pin_user_pages_* down to
> fault handlers, and allow the fault handler to allocate from a
> non-movable zone.

I like where the discussion so far (in the other threads) has taken
this. And the current plan also implies, I think, that you can probably
avoid any new flags at all: just check that both FOLL_LONGTERM and
FOLL_PIN are set, and if they are, then make your attempt to migrate
away from ZONE_MOVABLE.

> Sample function stacks through which this info needs to be passed is this:
>
> pin_user_pages_remote(gup_flags)
> __get_user_pages_remote(gup_flags)
> __gup_longterm_locked(gup_flags)
> __get_user_pages_locked(gup_flags)
> __get_user_pages(gup_flags)
> faultin_page(gup_flags)
> Convert gup_flags into fault_flags
> handle_mm_fault(fault_flags)

I'm pleased that the gup_flags have pretty much been plumbed through all the
main places that they were missing, so there shouldn't be too much required
at this point.

> From handle_mm_fault(), the stack diverges into various faults,
> examples include:
>
> Transparent Huge Page
> handle_mm_fault(fault_flags)
> __handle_mm_fault(fault_flags)
> Create: struct vm_fault vmf, use fault_flags to specify correct gfp_mask
> create_huge_pmd(vmf);
> do_huge_pmd_anonymous_page(vmf);
> mm_get_huge_zero_page(vma->vm_mm); -> flag is lost, so flag from
> vmf.gfp_mask should be passed as well.
>
> There are several other similar paths in a transparent huge page, also
> there is a named path where allocation is based on filesystems, and
> the flag should be honored there as well, but it does not have to be
> added at the same time.
>
> Regular Pages
> handle_mm_fault(fault_flags)
> __handle_mm_fault(fault_flags)
> Create: struct vm_fault vmf, use fault_flags to specify correct gfp_mask
> handle_pte_fault(vmf)
> do_anonymous_page(vmf);
> page = alloc_zeroed_user_highpage_movable(vma, vmf->address); ->
> replace change this call according to gfp_mask.
>
> The above only take care of the case if user application faults on the
> page during pinning time, but there are also cases where pages already
> exist.
>
> 2. Add an internal move_pages_zone() similar to move_pages() syscall
> but instead of migrating to a different NUMA node, migrate pages from
> ZONE_MOVABLE to another zone.
> Call move_pages_zone() on demand prior to pinning pages from
> vfio_pin_map_dma() for instance.
>
> 3. Perhaps, it also makes sense to add madvise() flag, to allocate
> pages from non-movable zone. When a user application knows that it
> will do DMA mapping, and pin pages for a long time, the memory that it
> allocates should never be migrated or hot-removed, so make sure that
> it comes from the appropriate place.
> The benefit of adding madvise() flag is that we won't have to deal
> with slow page migration during pin time, but the disadvantage is that
> we would need to change the user interface.
>
> Before I start working on the above approaches, I would like to get an
> opinion from the community on an appropriate path forward for this
> problem. If what I described sounds reasonable, or if there are other
> ideas on how to address the problem that I am seeing.

I'm also in favor with avoiding (3) for now and maybe forever, depending on
how it goes. Good luck... :)

thanks,
--
John Hubbard
NVIDIA

  Last update: 2020-11-24 07:52    [W:0.152 / U:0.464 seconds]