SubjectRe: [RFC Patch 0/2] KVM: SVM: Cgroup support for SVM SEV ASIDs
On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 09:27:25PM +0000, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020, Vipin Sharma wrote:

> > > Agreed.

> I've no objection to omitting current until it's needed.

> > > Makes sense. I assume the stat file is only at the cgroup root level
> > > since it would otherwise be duplicating its contents in every cgroup under
> > > it. Probably not very helpful for child cgroup to see stat = 509 ASIDs
> > > but max = 100 :)
> >
> > Yes, only at root.
>
> Is a root level stat file needed? Can't the infrastructure do .max - .current
> on the root cgroup to calculate the number of available ids in the system?

For an efficient scheduling of workloads in the cloud infrastructure, a
scheduler needs to know the total capacity supported and the current
usage of the host to get the overall picture. There are some issues with
.max -.current approach:

1. Cgroup v2 convention is to not put resource control files in the
root. This will mean we need to sum (.max -.current) in all of the
immediate children of the root.

2. .max can have any limit unless we add a check to not allow a user to
set any value more than the supported one. This will theoretically
change the encryption_ids cgroup resource distribution model from the
limit based to the allocation based. It will require the same
validations in the children cgroups. I think providing separate file on
the root is a simpler approach.

For someone to set the max limit, they need to know what is the
supported capacity. In the case of SEV and SEV-ES it is not shown
anywhere and the only way to know this is to use a CPUID instructions.
The "stat" file will provide an easy way to know it.

Since current approach is not migrating charges, this means when a
process migrates to an another cgroup and the old cgroup is deleted
(user won't see it but it will be present in the cgroup hierarchy
internally), we cannot get the correct usage by going through other
cgroup directories in this case.

I am suggesting that the root stat file should show both available and
used information.
$ cat encryption_ids.sev.stat
total 509
used 102

It will be very easy for a cloud scheduler to retrieve the system state
quickly.

  Last update: 2020-11-24 23:25    [W:0.099 / U:0.452 seconds]