SubjectRe: xfs_reclaim_inodes_ag taking several seconds
On 8/12/20 8:49 AM, Donald Buczek wrote:
> [...]
>> backed up at the same time...
>
> It is already running round the clock. We have two of these servers, doing daily backups for 1374 file spaces (= directory trees below 1 TB) on 392 clients. The servers are doing daily mirrors of these file spaces, creating hard links for existing files and keeping these daily trees for 4 month. The schedule is free from fixed wall clock times. A backup is due when the last iteration is older than 24 hours, and will be done as time, threads and some locking constrains allow. Under normal circumstances the servers keep up, but are nearly continuously busy. The excess capacity is spread all over the day (sometimes there is no work to do for some minutes).
>
> I monitor, how long a local mount takes (usually 0.03-0.04 seconds) and the worst time seen so far is over 16 minutes! Because we rely on autofs mounts for logins and some other things, the system kind of appears to be dead during that time.
>
> I've limited the inode caches by running the backup jobs in memory control groups, but, as expected, this didn't really bring down the delays. I've also added a cond_resched() to mm/vmscan.c:shrink_slab_memcg(), which seems to be missing after the up_read(), but this didn't help either.
>
> From a user perspective it is hard to understand, that a saturated block device delays unrelated functions that much. Functions, which don't have any business with that block device.
>
> Maybe our usage of the filesystem is just bad design and we should move the housekeeping and the metadata of the backup application from the filesystem into a database. But our applications is just an unprivileged user on a multiuser system, so it would be nice if the impact could be limited.
>
> Is it acceptable that a shrinker blocks for minutes? If not, this would be a problem specific to xfs, which might already be addressed by the scheduled changes. Can it be tamed by other means somehow? Would it make sense to limit the xfs log size? You've mentioned the full size journal log in a previous mail. I could also split the big filesystems into multiple smaller filesystems. But I guess, this is not the idea of xfs, which internally kind of consists of multiple filesystems anyway? Pick another filesystem?
>
> On the other hand, if it is acceptable for a shrinker to block for minutes, I wonder if the registration/deregistration of shrinkers could be made lockfree in regard to the current shrinker activity. It would need to be considered, that maybe subsystems currently reply on the implied serialization.
>
> Best
>   Donald
>
>>> I'd love to test that with our load, but I
>>> don't want to risk our backup data and it would be difficult to
>>> produce the same load on a toy system. The patch set is not yet
>>> ready to be tested on production data, is it?
>>
>> Not unless you like testing -rc1 kernels in production :)

I just want to give a short update:

When 5.9 was released, I was eager to test that, but this has been delayed by the fact, that the two Adaptec 1100-8e HBAs of the system failed to operate with Linux 5.9 [1].

But by now we've got a (unreleased) version 2.1.8-005 smartpqi driver from Adaptec, which is working with Linux 5.9.8 on out system.

From this test I can acknowledge, that the problem reported in this thread is in fact no longer visible in Linux 5.9, as you expeced. :-)

So far, no other negative effects of the high file system load have been observed.

Best

Donald

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-scsi/7d22510c-da28-ea2d-a1b1-fc9e126879d1@molgen.mpg.de/

--
Donald Buczek
buczek@molgen.mpg.de

  Last update: 2020-11-19 08:33    [W:0.048 / U:2.312 seconds]