SubjectRe: WARNING: can't access registers at asm_common_interrupt
On 15.11.20 17:05, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

>>> ALTERNATIVE would "work" in the sense that it would function and be
>>> just about as nonsensical as the current code. Fundamentally, Xen
>>> PV's sysret feature is not a drop-in replacement for SYSRET64, and
>>> pretending that it is seems unlikely to work well. I suspect that the
>>> current code is some combination of exceedingly slow, non-functional,
>>> and incorrect in subtle ways.
>>> We should just have a separate Xen PV exit path the same way we have a
>>> separate entry path in recent kernels. *This* is what I'm
>>> volunteering to do.
>>
>> I don't think there is much work needed. Xen PV does basically a return
>> to user mode via IRET. I think it might work just to use
>> swapgs_restore_regs_and_return_to_usermode() unconditionally for Xen PV.
>>

> I’m quite confident that will work, but I was hoping to get it to work quickly too :)

The PV interface requires to use the iret hypercall, because there
is no sysret equivalent.

Juergen
[unhandled content-type:application/pgp-keys][unhandled content-type:application/pgp-signature]

  Last update: 2020-11-15 17:15    [W:2.445 / U:0.748 seconds]