SubjectRe: [RFC] Are you good with Lockdep?
On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 11:33 AM Byungchul Park <byungchul.park@lge.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 09:36:09AM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > And this is especially true with lockdep, because lockdep only detects the
> > deadlock, it doesn't tell you which lock was the incorrect locking.
> >
> > For example. If we have a locking chain of:
> >
> > A -> B -> D
> >
> > A -> C -> D
> >
> > Which on a correct system looks like this:
> >
> > lock(A)
> > lock(B)
> > unlock(B)
> > unlock(A)
> >
> > lock(B)
> > lock(D)
> > unlock(D)
> > unlock(B)
> >
> > lock(A)
> > lock(C)
> > unlock(C)
> > unlock(A)
> >
> > lock(C)
> > lock(D)
> > unlock(D)
> > unlock(C)
> >
> > which creates the above chains in that order.
> >
> > But, lets say we have a bug and the system boots up doing:
> >
> > lock(D)
> > lock(A)
> > unlock(A)
> > unlock(D)
> >
> > which creates the incorrect chain.
> >
> > D -> A
> >

> > Now you do the correct locking:
> >
> > lock(A)
> > lock(B)
> >
> > Creates A -> B
> >
> > lock(A)
> > lock(C)
> >
> > Creates A -> C
> >
> > lock(B)
> > lock(D)
> >
> > Creates B -> D and lockdep detects:
> >
> > D -> A -> B -> D
> >
> > and gives us the lockdep splat!!!
> >
> > But we don't disable lockdep. We let it continue...
> >
> > lock(C)
> > lock(D)
> >
> > Which creates C -> D
> >
> > Now it explodes with D -> A -> C -> D
>
> It would be better to check both so that we can choose either
> breaking a single D -> A chain or both breaking A -> B -> D and
> A -> C -> D.
>
> > Which it already reported. And it can be much more complex when dealing
> > with interrupt contexts and longer chains. That is, perhaps a different
>
> IRQ context is much much worse than longer chains. I understand what you
> try to explain.
>
> > chain had a missing irq disable, now you might get 5 or 6 more lockdep
> > splats because of that one bug.
> >
> > The point I'm making is that the lockdep splats after the first one may
> > just be another version of the same bug and not a new one. Worse, if you
> > only look at the later lockdep splats, it may be much more difficult to
> > find the original bug than if you just had the first one. Believe me, I've
>
> If the later lockdep splats make us more difficult to fix, then we can
> look at the first one. If it's more informative, then we can check the
> all splats. Anyway it's up to us.

> [...]

+1 on lockdep-native support for this. For another use case I've added
annotations for dma_fence_wait, and they're not entirely correct
unfortunately. But the false positives is along the lines of "you
really shouldn't do this, even if it's in theory deadlock free". See

commit 5fbff813a4a328b730cb117027c43a4ae9d8b6c0