SubjectRe: PHY reset question
On 10/7/20 11:06 AM, Marco Felsch wrote:
> On 20-10-07 10:23, Marek Vasut wrote:
>> On 10/7/20 10:14 AM, Marco Felsch wrote:
>>> Hi Marek,
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Recently I added clk support for the smcs driver [1] and dropped the
>>> PHY_RST_AFTER_CLK_EN flag for LAN8710/20 devices because I had the same
>>> issues. Hope this will help you too.
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg682080.html
>>
>> I feel this might be starting to go a bit off-topic here,
>
> You're right, just wanted to provide you a link :)

Can you CC me on the next version of those patches ? I seems the LAN8710
is causing grief to many.

>> but isn't the
>> last patch 5/5 breaking existing setups ?
>
> IMHO the solution proposed using the PHY_RST_AFTER_CLK_EN was wrong so
> we needed to fix that. Yes we need to take care of DT backward
> compatibility but we still must be able to fix wrong behaviours within
> the driver. I could also argue that PHY_RST_AFTER_CLK_EN solution was
> breaking exisitng setups too.
>
>> The LAN8710 surely does need
>> clock enabled before the reset line is toggled.
>
> Yep and therefore you can specify it yet within the DT.

So the idea is that the PHY enables the clock for itself . And if the
MAC doesn't export these clock as clk to which you can refer to in DT,
then you still need the PHY_RST_AFTER_CLK_EN flag, so the MAC can deal
with enabling the clock ? Or is the idea to fix the MAC drivers too ?

  Last update: 2020-10-07 11:21    [W:1.138 / U:0.048 seconds]