SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Reiser5: Selective File Migration - User Interface
Hi!

> > In particular, using this functionality, user is able to push out
> > "hot" files on any high-performance device (e.g. proxy device) and pin
> > them there.

What permissions are normally required for file migration?

> > COMMENT. After ioctl successful completion the file is not necessarily
> > written to the target device! To make sure of it, call fsync(2) after
> > successful ioctl completion, or open the file with O_SYNC flag before
> > migration.

Ok.

> > COMMENT. File migration is a volume operation (like adding, removing a device to/from
> > a logical volumes), and all volume operations are serialized. So, any attempt to
> > migrate a file, while performing other operation on that volume will fail. If some
> > file migration procedure fails (with EBUSY, or other errors), or was interrupted by
> > user, then it should be repeated in the current mount session. File migration
> > procedures interrupted by system crash, hared reset, etc) should be repeated in the
> > next mount sessions.

Dunno. Returning -EBUSY is kind of "interesting" there. I'd expect kernel to queue
the callers, because userland can't really do that easily.

Best regards,
Pavel

  Last update: 2020-10-04 11:59    [W:0.070 / U:0.640 seconds]