SubjectRe: PROBLEM: Reiser4 hard lockup
On 10/27/2020 08:36 PM, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

>>> Honestly, this is the first time I've heard about a Linux FS having
>>> versioning other than a major one
>>
>> This is because, unlike other Linux file systems, reiser4 is a
>> framework.
>>
>> In vanilla kernel having a filesystem-as-framework is discouraged for
>> ideological reasons. As they explained: "nobody's interested in
>> plugins". A huge monolithic mess without any internal structure -
>> welcome :)
>
> I wouldn't call it an ideological problem, but more about wanting to
> assure interoperability issues and wanting to reduce confusion on the
> part of users, especially if images get moved between systems. There
> is also plenty of way of introducing internal structure and code
> cleanliness without going completely undisciplined with respect to
> on-disk format extensions. :-)

Have you made this up right now?
I remember very well all the requests for merging reiser4 to upstream
(in 2004, 2005 and 2006 years) - compatibility claims had never been
raised. Especially, it is not a problem to add mechanisms for keeping
track of compatibility at any time.

> Finally, I'll note that ext 2/3/4 does have a rather fine-grained set
> of feature flags, with specific rules about what the kernel --- and
> e2fsck --- should do if it finds a feature bit it doesn't understand
> in the incompat, ro_compat, and compat feature flags set. This is
> especially helpful since we have multiple implementations of ext 2/3/4
> out there (in FreeBSD, the GRUB bootloader, GNU HURD, Fuchsia, etc.)
> and so using feature bits allow for safe and reliable interoperability
> with the user being warned if they can safely only mount the file
> system read-only, or not at all, if the file system has some new
> feature that their current OS version does not support. We can also
> give appropriate warnings if they are using an insufficiently recent
> version of the userspace tools.

"Fine-grained" means per-volume decisions mount/not mount/read-only
mount? It is even not yesterday technique. It is an ice age...

Edward.

  Last update: 2020-10-28 23:35    [W:0.058 / U:0.072 seconds]