SubjectRe: The problem of setgroups and containers
ebiederm@xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman) writes:

> [ Added linux-api because we are talking about a subtle semantic
> change to the permission checks ]
>
> Christian Brauner <christian.brauner@ubuntu.com> writes:

>>> Interesting until reading through your commentary I had missed the
>>> proposal to effectively effectively change the permissions to:
>>> ((mode >> 3) & (mode >> 6) & mode & 7).
>>>
>>> The challenge is that in a permission triple it is possible to set
>>> lower permissions for the owner of the file, or for a specific group,
>>> than for everyone else.
>>>
>>> Today we require root permissions to be able to map users and groups in
>>> /proc/<pid>/uid_map and /proc/<pid>/gid_map, and we require root
>>> permissions to be able to drop groups with setgroups.
>>>
>>> Now we are discussiong moving to a world where we can use users and
>>> groups that don't map to any other user namespace in uid_map and
>>> gid_map. It should be completely safe to use those users and groups
>>> except for negative permissions in filesystems. So a big question is
>>> how do we arrange the system so anyone can use those files without
>>> negative permission causing problems.
>>>

>>> I believe it is safe to not limit the owner of a file, as the
>>> owner of a file can always chmode the file and remove any restrictions.
>>> Which is no worse than calling setuid to a different uid.
>>>
>>> Which leaves where we have been dealing with the ability to drop groups
>>> with setgroups.
>>>
>>> I guess the practical proposal is when the !in_group_p and we are
>>> looking at the other permission. Treat the permissions as:
>>> ((mode >> 3) & mode & 7). Instead of just (mode & 7).
>>>
>>> Which for systems who don't use negative group permissions is a no-op.
>>> So this should not effect your btrfs snapshots at all (unless you use
>>> negative group permissions).
>>>
>>> It denies things before we get to an NFS server or other interesting
>>> case so it should work for pretty much everything the kernel deals with.
>>>
>>> Userspace repeating permission checks could break. But that is just a
>>> problem of inconsistency, and will always be a problem.
>>>
>>> We could make it more precise as Serge was suggesting with a set of that
>>> were dropped from setgroups, but under the assumption that negative
>>> groups are sufficient rare we can avoid that overhead.
>>
>> I'm tempted to agree and say that it's safe to assume that they are used
>> very much. Negative acls have been brought up a couple of times in
>> related contexts though. One being a potential bug in newgidmap which we
>> discussed back in
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shadow/+bug/1729357
>> But I think if we have this under a sysctl as proposed earlier is good
>> enough.
>>

>>> static int acl_permission_check(struct inode *inode, int mask)
>>> {
>>> unsigned int mode = inode->i_mode;
>>>
>>> - [irrelevant bits of this function]
>>>
>>> /* Only RWX matters for group/other mode bits */
>>> mask &= 7;
>>>
>>> /*
> [...]

Ugh. I do see a problem. Not with the approach so much but with my
argument that it is fine to ignore users.

I have just re-read through posix_acl_permission, and the logic is just
like acl_permission_check except that instead of having one user (the
owner of the file) and one group. There can be the owner of the file
and other users (each with their distinct permissions) followed by the
one or more groups each with their distinct permissions followed by a
mask of maximum permissions followed by permissions for other users.

Which means that we need to take the owner of the user namespace into
account to preserve the invariant that we have no more permissions than
that owner had.

So I am thinking for the other permission check we need to limit the
permissions that are available to based on recursively the owner of the
user namespace and the owner's groups when the user namespace was
created.

Eric

  Last update: 2020-10-19 02:17    [W:0.203 / U:1.200 seconds]