SubjectRe: [RFC v1 0/6] kunit: create a centralized executor to dispatch all KUnit tests
Sorry for the late reply. I am still catching up from being on vacation.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 2:40 PM Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 02:05:49PM -0800, Brendan Higgins wrote:
> > ## TL;DR
> >
> > This patchset adds a centralized executor to dispatch tests rather than
> > relying on late_initcall to schedule each test suite separately along
> > with a couple of new features that depend on it.
> >
> > ## What am I trying to do?
> >
> > Conceptually, I am trying to provide a mechanism by which test suites
> > can be grouped together so that they can be reasoned about collectively.
> > The last two patches in this series add features which depend on this:
> >
> > RFC 5/6 Prints out a test plan right before KUnit tests are run[1]; this
> > is valuable because it makes it possible for a test harness to
> > detect whether the number of tests run matches the number of
> > tests expected to be run, ensuring that no tests silently
> > failed.
> >
> > RFC 6/6 Add a new kernel command-line option which allows the user to
> > specify that the kernel poweroff, halt, or reboot after
> > completing all KUnit tests; this is very handy for running KUnit
> > tests on UML or a VM so that the UML/VM process exits cleanly
> > immediately after running all tests without needing a special
> > initramfs.
>
> The approach seems sensible to me given that it separates from a
> semantics perspective kernel subsystem init work from *testing*, and
> so we are sure we'd run the *test* stuff *after* all subsystem init
> stuff.

Cool, I thought you would find this interesting.

> Dispatching, however is still immediate, and with a bit of work, this
> dispatcher could be configurable to run at an arbirary time after boot.
> If there are not immediate use cases for that though, then I suppose
> this is not a requirement for the dispatcher. But since there exists
> another modular test framework with its own dispatcher and it seems the
> goal is to merge the work long term, this might preempt the requirement
> to define how and when we can dispatch tests post boot.
>
> And, if we're going to do that, I can suggest that a data structure
> instead of just a function init call be used to describe tests to be
> placed into an ELF section. With my linker table work this would be
> easy, I define section ranges for code describing only executable
> routines, but it defines linker tables for when a component in the
> kernel would define a data structure, part of which can be a callback.
> Such data structure stuffed into an ELF section could allow dynamic
> configuration of the dipsatching, even post boot.

The linker table work does sound interesting. Do you have a link?

I was thinking about dynamic dispatching, actually. I thought it would
be handy to be able to build all tests into a single kernel and then
run different tests on different invocations.

Also, for post boot dynamic dispatching, you should check out Alan's
debugfs patches:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kselftest/CAFd5g46657gZ36PaP8Pi999hPPgBU2Kz94nrMspS-AzGwdBF+g@mail.gmail.com/T/#m210cadbeee267e5c5a9253d83b7b7ca723d1f871

They look pretty handy!

> I think this is a good stepping stone forward then, and to allow
> dynamic configuration of the dispatcher could mean eventual extensions
> to kunit's init stuff to stuff init calls into a data structure which
> can then allow configuration of the dispatching. One benefit that the
> linker table work *may* be able to help here with is that it allows
> an easy way to create kunit specific ordering, at linker time.
> There is also an example of addressing / generalizing dynamic / run time
> changes of ordering, by using the x86 IOMMU initialization as an
> example case. We don't have an easy way to do this today, but if kunit
> could benefit from such framework, it'd be another use case for
> the linker table work. That is, the ability to easilly allow
> dynamically modifying run time ordering of code through ELF sections.
>
> > In addition, by dispatching tests from a single location, we can
> > guarantee that all KUnit tests run after late_init is complete, which
> > was a concern during the initial KUnit patchset review (this has not
> > been a problem in practice, but resolving with certainty is nevertheless
> > desirable).
>
> Indeed, the concern is just a real semantics limitations. With the tests
> *always* running after all subsystem init stuff, we know we'd have a
> real full kernel ready.

Yep.

> It does beg the question if this means kunit is happy to not be a tool
> to test pre basic setup stuff (terminology used in init.c, meaning prior
> to running all init levels). I suspect this is the case.

Not sure. I still haven't seen any cases where this is necessary, so I
am not super worried about it. Regardless, I don't think this patchset
really changes anything in that regard, we are moving from late_init
to after late_init, so it isn't that big of a change for most use
cases.

Please share if you can think of some things that need to be tested in
early init.

> > Other use cases for this exist, but the above features should provide an
> > idea of the value that this could provide.
> >
> > ## What work remains to be done?
> >
> > These patches were based on patches in our non-upstream branch[2], so we
> > have a pretty good idea that they are useable as presented;
> > nevertheless, some of the changes done in this patchset could
> > *definitely* use some review by subsystem experts (linker scripts, init,
> > etc), and will likely change a lot after getting feedback.
> >
> > The biggest thing that I know will require additional attention is
> > integrating this patchset with the KUnit module support patchset[3]. I
> > have not even attempted to build these patches on top of the module
> > support patches as I would like to get people's initial thoughts first
> > (especially Alan's :-) ). I think that making these patches work with
> > module support should be fairly straight forward, nevertheless.
>
> Modules just have their own sections too. That's all. So it'd be a
> matter of extending the linker script for modules too. But a module's
> init is different than the core kernel's for vmlinux.

Truth. It seems as though Alan has already fixed this for me, however.

  Last update: 2020-01-23 23:41    [W:0.242 / U:0.016 seconds]