SubjectRe: [RFC v5 00/57] objtool: Add support for arm64

On 1/23/20 2:35 PM, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 01:52:17PM +0000, Julien Thierry wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> That's a lot of decoding logic which we already have in
>>> arch/arm64/{kernel/insn.c,include/asm/insn.h}. I'd prefer to see this stuff
>>> reused or generated from a single source, since it's really easy to get it
>>> wrong, has a tendency to bitrot and is nasty to debug.
>>>

>> The thing is that the code in those files is mostly encoding logic
>> (motivated by BPF) rather than decoding (except for the instruction that
>> might be trapped, but these rarely overlap with instructions that objtools
>> cares about). I agree that ideally the decoding/encoding should be under
>> arch/arm64/lib, I was just a bit weary introducing a lot of decoding code
>> under arch/arm64 that wouldn't even be used in kernel code.
>
> Hmm, but kprobes decodes instructions somehow :p
>
> Not saying you have to refactor everything, but I'd hope you could reuse
> some of the aarch64_insn_is* and aarch64_insn_extract* functions at least.

Oh, you're right, there seem to be more than what I remembered. There is
probably a bunch of things I can reuse (and I'll feel more at ease with
that rather than introducing a whole bunch of new code :D ).

Thanks,

--
Julien Thierry

  Last update: 2020-01-23 16:12    [W:0.071 / U:0.112 seconds]