SubjectRe: [LKP] [drm/mgag200] 90f479ae51: vm-scalability.median -18.8% regression
Hi

Am 04.09.19 um 08:27 schrieb Feng Tang:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 12:51:40PM +0200, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Am 28.08.19 um 11:37 schrieb Rong Chen:
>>> Hi Thomas,

>>> It's cool, the patch "usecansleep.patch" can fix the issue.
>>
>> Thank you for testing. But don't get too excited, because the patch
>> simulates a bug that was present in the original mgag200 code. A
>> significant number of frames are simply skipped. That is apparently the
>> reason why it's faster.
>
> Thanks for the detailed info, so the original code skips time-consuming
> work inside atomic context on purpose. Is there any space to optmise it?
> If 2 scheduled update worker are handled at almost same time, can one be
> skipped?

We discussed ideas on IRC and decided that screen updates could be
synchronized with vblank intervals. This may give some rate limiting to
the output.

If you like, you could try the patch set at [1]. It adds the respective
code to console and mgag200.

Best regards
Thomas

[1]
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2019-September/234850.html

--
Thomas Zimmermann
Graphics Driver Developer

  Last update: 2019-09-09 16:12    [W:0.151 / U:0.064 seconds]