SubjectRe: Coccinelle: pci_free_consistent: Checking when constraints
>> I just try again to clarify if the specification of a single function call
>> exclusion can (and should) be sufficient also at this place.
>
> It's not sufficient.
>
> I explained why it's not sufficient.

Thanks for another bit of information.

> If you had made your change and tested it, it's at least highly probable
> that you would understand why it is not sufficient as well.
>
> You first reflex when you have a question should be to try what you are
> wondering about, not to head for the mailing list.

I got the impression that a few of our previous clarification attempts
pointed design possibilities out into other directions.

Examples:
* Coccinelle: semantic patch for missing of_node_put
Response by Wen Yang
17 May 2019 14:32:57 +0800 (CST)
https://lore.kernel.org/r/201905171432571474636@zte.com.cn/

https://lore.kernel.org/r/141163ed-a78b-6d89-e6cd-3442adda7073@web.de/
https://systeme.lip6.fr/pipermail/cocci/2019-May/005809.html
https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/5/9/99

* [v5] Coccinelle: semantic code search for missing put_device()
Discussion contribution by Markus Elfring
https://lore.kernel.org/r/b2f195e8-c3a3-f876-a075-317bb33496c6@web.de/
https://systeme.lip6.fr/pipermail/cocci/2019-February/005578.html
https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/2/15/412

> Please stop spreading misinformation.

I find the provided software documentation still incomplete.
Thus I hope also that the situation can be improved by additional communication.

See also:
[v5] Coccinelle: semantic code search for missing put_device()
Response by Julia Lawall
16 Feb 2019 10:36:45 +0100 (CET)
alpine.DEB.2.21.1902161036120.3212@hadrien

https://lore.kernel.org/r/6c114d10-0d17-6f43-4c33-0f57c230306f@web.de/
https://systeme.lip6.fr/pipermail/cocci/2019-February/005594.html
https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/2/16/38

How will the software development attention evolve further around the safe handling
of code exclusion specifications together with the semantic patch language?

Regards,
Markus

  Last update: 2019-09-09 12:42    [W:0.057 / U:0.880 seconds]