SubjectRe: Is congestion broken?
On 9/23/19 1:45 PM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 01:38:23PM -0600, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On 9/23/19 5:19 AM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>>>
>>> Ping Jens?

>> Congestion isn't there anymore. It was always broken as a concept imho,
>> since it was inherently racy. We used the old batching mechanism in the
>> legacy stack to signal it, and it only worked for some devices.
>
> Umm. OK. Well, something that used to work is now broken. So how

It didn't really...

> should we fix it? Take a look at shrink_node() in mm/vmscan.c. If we've
> submitted a lot of writes to a device, and overloaded it, we want to
> sleep until it's able to take more writes:
>
> /*
> * Stall direct reclaim for IO completions if underlying BDIs
> * and node is congested. Allow kswapd to continue until it
> * starts encountering unqueued dirty pages or cycling through
> * the LRU too quickly.
> */
> if (!sc->hibernation_mode && !current_is_kswapd() &&
> current_may_throttle() && pgdat_memcg_congested(pgdat, root))
> wait_iff_congested(BLK_RW_ASYNC, HZ/10);
>
> With a standard block device, that now sleeps until the timeout (100ms)
> expires, which is far too long for a modern SSD but is probably tuned
> just right for some legacy piece of spinning rust (or indeed a modern
> USB stick). How would the block layer like to indicate to the mm layer
> "I am too busy, please let the device work for a bit"?

Maybe base the sleep on the bdi write speed? We can't feasibly tell you
if something is congested. It used to sort of work on things like sata
drives, since we'd get congested when we hit the queue limit and that
wasn't THAT far off with reality. Didn't work on SCSI with higher queue
depths, and certainly doesn't work on NVMe where most devices have very
deep queues.

Or we can have something that does "sleep until X requests/MB have been
flushed", something that the vm would actively call. Combined with a
timeout as well, probably.

For the vm case above, it's further complicated by it being global
state. I think you'd be better off just making the delay smaller. 100ms
is an eternity, and 10ms wakeups isn't going to cause any major issues
in terms of CPU usage. If we're calling the above wait_iff_congested(),
it better because we're otherwise SOL.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2019-09-23 21:51    [W:0.048 / U:3.808 seconds]