SubjectRe: [RFC V1 0/7] Add support for a new IMS interrupt mechanism
Date
On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 01:27:10PM -0700, Raj, Ashok wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 07:50:50PM +0000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 06:32:01PM -0700, Megha Dey wrote:
> >
> > > This series is a basic patchset to get the ball rolling and receive some
> > > inital comments. As per my discussion with Marc Zyngier and Thomas Gleixner
> > > at the Linux Plumbers, I need to do the following:
> > > 1. Since a device can support MSI-X and IMS simultaneously, ensure proper
> > > locking mechanism for the 'msi_list' in the device structure.
> > > 2. Introduce dynamic allocation of IMS vectors perhaps by using a group ID
> > > 3. IMS support of a device needs to be discoverable. A bit in the vendor
> > > specific capability in the PCI config is to be added rather than getting
> > > this information from each device driver.
> >
> > Why #3? The point of this scheme is to delegate programming the
> > addr/data pairs to the driver so it can be done in some
> > device-specific way. There is no PCI standard behind this, and no
> > change in PCI semantics.
> >
> > I think it would be a tall ask to get a config space bit from PCI-SIG
> > for something that has little to do with PCI.
>
> This isn't a standard config capability. Its Designated Vendor Specific
> Capability (DVSEC). The device is responsible for managing the addr-data
> pair. This provides a hint to the OS framework that this device has
> device specific methods.
>
> Agreed its not required, but some OSV's like a generic way to discover
> these capabilities, hence its there so device vendors can have
> a common guideline.

I think it would be reasonable for a specific device driver to test
the DVSEC, if it wishes too.

Since it is not required it does not make sense for the core kernel to
enforce this on all devices, at least for such a nebulous reason.

Jason

  Last update: 2019-09-19 20:26    [W:1.627 / U:0.024 seconds]