SubjectRe: dma_mmap_fault discussion
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 09:10:08AM +0200, Thomas Hellström (VMware) wrote:
>> It's definitely possible. I was just wondering whether it was necessary, but
>> it seems like it.
> Yepp.
>
> I've pushed a new version out (even hotter off the press) that doesn't
> require the region for dma_mmap_prepare, and also uses PAGE_SIZE units
> for the offset / length in dma_mmap_fault, which simplifies a few
> things.

Hi, Christoph,

I've been looking into this a bit, and while it's possible to make it
work for fault, (and for single page kmaps of course, since we have the
kernel virtual address already), I run into problems with vmaps, since
we basically need to vmap a set of consecutive coherent allocations
obtained from the coherent pool.

Also, at mmap time, we need in theory to call dma_mmap_prepare() and
save the page_prot for all attrs we might be using at fault time...

I did some thinking into whether we could perhaps cover all or at least
the vast majority of architectures and awkward devices more generally
with a  page prot and a set of pfns. So I looked at how
remap_pfn_range() and io_remap_pfn_range() was implemented across
architectures, and it turns out that all archs implementing a special
io_remap_pfn_range() (sparc and mips) end up calling remap_pfn_range(),
and that should mean that any arch that's currently capable of doing
fault() should in principle be capable of using vmf_insert_pfn_prot()
with a suitable pfn that in most (if not all) cases should be obtainable
from the kernel virtual address.

So do you think a way forward could perhaps be to have a
dma_common_get_pfn_sgtable() and add a generic vmap_pfn_prot()?

Thanks,

Thomas

  Last update: 2019-09-10 10:39    [W:0.055 / U:1.636 seconds]