SubjectRe: linux-next: build failure after merge of the arm64 tree
Hi Michael,

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 02:52:40PM +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> Will Deacon <will@kernel.org> writes:
> > Although Alpha, Itanic and PowerPC all override NM, only PowerPC does it
> > conditionally so I agree with you that passing '--synthetic' unconditionally
> > would resolve the problem and is certainly my preferred approach if mpe is
> > ok with it.
>
> I'd rather we keep passing --synthetic, otherwise there's the potential
> that symbols go missing that were previously visible.

Yup -- that was my suggestion above.

> I think we can keep the new_nm check, but drop the dependency on
> CONFIG_PPC64, and that will fix it. Worst case is we start passing
> --synthetic on ppc32, but that's probably not a problem.
>
> This seems to fix it for me, and 32-bit builds fine.

Brill, thanks for confirming!

> Do you want me to send a proper patch for this, or do you want to squash
> it into the original series?

I'd prefer not to rebase the arm64 queue, so if you send this as a proper
patch, please, then I can queue it on top before reverting the hack we
currently have.

Will

  Last update: 2019-08-16 19:30    [W:0.067 / U:0.300 seconds]