SubjectRe: get_maintainers.pl subsystem output
Hi Joe,

when analyzing the patch
`<20150128012747.824898918@linuxfoundation.org>` [1] with
`get_maintainers.pl --subsystem --status --separator , /tmp/patch`,
there is the following output:

Chris Mason <clm@fb.com> (maintainer:BTRFS FILE SYSTEM),Josef Bacik
<jbacik@fb.com> (maintainer:BTRFS FILE SYSTEM),David Sterba
<dsterba@suse.cz> (maintainer:BTRFS FILE SYSTEM),Alexander Viro
<viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk> (maintainer:FILESYSTEMS (VFS and
infrastructure)),"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu> (maintainer:EXT4 FILE
SYSTEM),Andreas Dilger <adilger.kernel@dilger.ca> (maintainer:EXT4 FILE
SYSTEM),Jaegeuk Kim <jaegeuk@kernel.org> (maintainer:F2FS FILE
SYSTEM),Changman Lee <cm224.lee@samsung.com> (maintainer:F2FS FILE
SYSTEM),Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu> (maintainer:FUSE: FILESYSTEM
IN USERSPACE),Steven Whitehouse <swhiteho@redhat.com> (supporter:GFS2
FILE SYSTEM),Anton Altaparmakov <anton@tuxera.com> (supporter:NTFS
FILESYSTEM),Hugh Dickins <hughd@google.com> (maintainer:TMPFS (SHMEM
FILESYSTEM)),linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org (open list:BTRFS FILE
SYSTEM),linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (open
list),linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org (open list:FILESYSTEMS (VFS and
infrastructure)),linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org (open list:EXT4 FILE
SYSTEM),linux-f2fs-devel@lists.sourceforge.net (open list:F2FS FILE
SYSTEM),fuse-devel@lists.sourceforge.net (open list:FUSE: FILESYSTEM IN
USERSPACE),cluster-devel@redhat.com (open list:GFS2 FILE
SYSTEM),linux-ntfs-dev@lists.sourceforge.net (open list:NTFS
FILESYSTEM),linux-mm@kvack.org (open list:MEMORY MANAGEMENT)
Maintained,Buried alive in reporters,Supported
BTRFS FILE SYSTEM,THE REST,FILESYSTEMS (VFS and infrastructure),EXT4
FILE SYSTEM,F2FS FILE SYSTEM,FUSE: FILESYSTEM IN USERSPACE,GFS2 FILE
SYSTEM,NTFS FILESYSTEM,MEMORY MANAGEMENT,TMPFS (SHMEM FILESYSTEM)

How can I parse this output automatically? or how can I generate a
parsable output?

I need the tuples of subsystems and status:
(THE REST, Buried alive in reporters)
(TMPFS, Maintained)
(BTRFS FILE SYSTEM, Maintained)

(GFS2 FILE SYSTEM, Supported)

I'm not aware how to reliably assign the statuses to the subsystems.

Thank you in advance
Kind regards

Sebastian Duda

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/537252/

On 2019-07-19 10:50, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-07-19 at 07:35 +0000, Duda, Sebastian wrote:
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> I'm conducting a large-scale patch analysis of the LKML with 1.8
>> million
>> patch emails. I'm using the `get_maintainer.pl` script to know which
>> patch is related to which subsystem.
>
> The MAINTAINERS file is updated frequently.
>
> Are you also using the MAINTAINERS file used
> at the time each patch was submitted?
>
>> I ran into two issues while using the script:
>>
>> 1. When I use the script the trivial way
>>
>> $ scripts/get_maintainer.pl --subsystem --status --separator ,
>> drivers/media/i2c/adv748x/
>> Kieran Bingham <kieran.bingham@ideasonboard.com>
>> (maintainer:ANALOG
>> DEVICES INC ADV748X DRIVER),Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@kernel.org>
>> (maintainer:MEDIA INPUT INFRASTRUCTURE
>> (V4L/DVB)),linux-media@vger.kernel.org (open list:ANALOG DEVICES INC
>> ADV748X DRIVER),linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (open list)
>> Maintained,Buried alive in reporters
>> ANALOG DEVICES INC ADV748X DRIVER,MEDIA INPUT INFRASTRUCTURE
>> (V4L/DVB),THE REST
>>
>> the output is hard to parse because the status `Maintained` is
>> displayed
>> only once but related to two subsystems.
>>
>> I'd prefer a more table like representation, like this:
>>
>> Kieran Bingham <kieran.bingham@ideasonboard.com>
>> (maintainer:ANALOG
>> DEVICES INC ADV748X DRIVER),linux-media@vger.kernel.org (open
>> list:ANALOG DEVICES INC ADV748X DRIVER),ANALOG DEVICES INC ADV748X
>> DRIVER,Maintained
>> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@kernel.org> (maintainer:MEDIA
>> INPUT
>> INFRASTRUCTURE (V4L/DVB)),MEDIA INPUT INFRASTRUCTURE
>> (V4L/DVB),Maintained
>> linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (open list),THE REST,Buried alive in
>> reporters
>>

>> 2. I want to analyze multiple patches, currently I am calling the
>> script
>> once per patch. When calling the script with multiple files the files
>> output is merged
>>
>> $ scripts/get_maintainer.pl --subsystem --status --separator ','
>> drivers/media/i2c/adv748x/ include/uapi/linux/wmi.h
>> Kieran Bingham <kieran.bingham@ideasonboard.com>
>> (maintainer:ANALOG
>> DEVICES INC ADV748X DRIVER),Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@kernel.org>
>> (maintainer:MEDIA INPUT INFRASTRUCTURE
>> (V4L/DVB)),linux-media@vger.kernel.org (open list:ANALOG DEVICES INC
>> ADV748X DRIVER),linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (open
>> list),platform-driver-x86@vger.kernel.org (open list:ACPI WMI DRIVER)
>> Maintained,Buried alive in reporters,Orphan
>> ANALOG DEVICES INC ADV748X DRIVER,MEDIA INPUT INFRASTRUCTURE
>> (V4L/DVB),THE REST,ACPI WMI DRIVER
>>
>> I'd like to run the script with all files but separated output, like
>> this:
>>
>> $ scripts/get_maintainer.pl --subsystem --status --separator ','
>> --separate-files drivers/media/i2c/adv748x/ include/uapi/linux/wmi.h
> [...]

  Last update: 2019-07-23 09:30    [W:0.086 / U:0.040 seconds]