SubjectRe: [RFC v2 12/14] arm64/lib: asid: Allow user to update the context under the lock

On 03/07/2019 18:35, James Morse wrote:
> Hi Julien,

Hi James,

> On 20/06/2019 14:06, Julien Grall wrote:
>> Some users of the ASID allocator (e.g VMID) will require to update the
>> context when a new ASID is generated. This has to be protected by a lock
>> to prevent concurrent modification.
>>
>> Rather than introducing yet another lock, it is possible to re-use the
>> allocator lock for that purpose. This patch introduces a new callback
>> that will be call when updating the context.
>
> You're using this later in the series to mask out the generation from the atomic64 to
> leave just the vmid.

You are right.

> Where does this concurrent modification happen? The value is only written if we have a
> rollover, and while its active the only bits that could change are the generation.
> (subsequent vCPUs that take the slow path for the same VM will see the updated generation
> and skip the new_context call)
>
> If we did the generation filtering in update_vmid() after the call to
> asid_check_context(), what would go wrong?
> It happens more often than is necessary and would need a WRITE_ONCE(), but the vmid can't
> change until we become preemptible and another vCPU gets a chance to make its vmid active.

I think I was over cautious. Pre-filtering after asid_check_context() is equally
fine as long as update_vttbr() is called from preemptible context.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall

  Last update: 2019-07-15 17:46    [W:0.076 / U:0.724 seconds]