    SubjectRe: Fwd: linux-next: build failure after merge of the kbuild tree
    [Re: Fwd: linux-next: build failure after merge of the kbuild tree] On 06/05/2019 (Mon 21:07) Masahiro Yamada wrote:

    > Hi Paul,
    >

    > On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 12:34 PM Paul Gortmaker
    > <paul.gortmaker@windriver.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > [Fwd: linux-next: build failure after merge of the kbuild tree] On 06/05/2019 (Mon 11:19) Masahiro Yamada wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi Paul,
    > > >
    > > > In today's linux-next build testing,
    > > > more "make ... explicitly non-modular"
    > > > candidates showed up.
    > > >

    > > Hi Masahiro,
    > >
    > > I am not 100% clear on what you are asking me. There are lots and lots
    > > of these in the kernel.... many fixed, and many remain unfortunately.
    > >
    > > > arch/arm/plat-omap/dma.c
    > > > drivers/clocksource/timer-ti-dm.c
    > > > drivers/mfd/omap-usb-host.c
    > > > drivers/mfd/omap-usb-tll.c
    > >
    > > None of these are "new". I just checked, and I have had patches for all
    > > these for a long time, in my personal queue, found by my audits.
    >

    > OK, I saw many patches from you
    > addressing this issue,
    > so I just thought you might be motivated to
    > fix them.
    >
    > Anyway, I have a reason to fix them
    > because a patch in my tree is causing build errors.

    I understand now. I missed the connection between these drivers and the
    Kbuild change when I read this last night. Sorry about that.

    I can send the changes to those four files, but since I can't guarantee
    they will be merged quickly (or at all!) - that will leave the commit in
    the Kbuild tree causing build regressions for days or likely even weeks.

    > So, I will do something for them
    > if you do not have a plan to send patches soon.

    I will be happy to send them, but we just opened the two week merge
    window, and a lot of maintainers don't like getting sent new patches
    until the two week merge window has closed - so we should avoid that.

    I'm not sure how you would like to proceed - one way would be that we
    get the drivers above changed in 5.2 and you delay your kbuild change
    until we start v5.3 - to that end I'd be happy to add the Kbuild change
    to my internal build testing in the meantime, if you would like.

    Now that I understand the problem, let me know what you would like to
    do, and I'll do what I can to help out.

    Thanks,
    Paul.

      Last update: 2019-05-06 16:23    [W:5.251 / U:0.068 seconds]