SubjectRe: [RFC][Patch v9 2/6] KVM: Enables the kernel to isolate guest free pages
On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 11:39 AM Nitesh Narayan Lal <nitesh@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 3/8/19 2:25 PM, Alexander Duyck wrote:

> >> This is to avoid false OOM in the guest?
> > Partially, though it would still be possible. Basically it would just
> > be a way of determining when we have hinted "enough". Basically it
> > doesn't do us much good to be hinting on free memory if the guest is
> > already constrained and just going to reallocate the memory shortly
> > after we hinted on it. The idea is with a watermark we can avoid
> > hinting until we start having pages that are actually going to stay
> > free for a while.

> >> The one benefit which I can see of having an explicit bit is that it
> >> will help us to have a single hook away from the hot path within buddy
> >> merging code (just like your arch_merge_page) and still avoid duplicate
> >> hints while releasing pages.
> >>
> >> I still have to check PG_idle and PG_young which you mentioned but I
> >> don't think we can reuse any existing bits.
> > Those are bits that are already there for 64b. I think those exist in
> > the page extension for 32b systems. If I am not mistaken they are only
> > used in VMA mapped memory. What I was getting at is that those are the
> > bits we could think about reusing.
> >
> >> If we really want to have something like a watermark, then can't we use
> >> zone->free_pages before isolating to see how many free pages are there
> >> and put a threshold on it? (__isolate_free_page() does a similar thing
> >> but it does that on per request basis).
> > Right. That is only part of it though since that tells you how many
> > free pages are there. But how many of those free pages are hinted?
> > That is the part we would need to track separately and then then
> > compare to free_pages to determine if we need to start hinting on more
> > memory or not.
> Only pages which are isolated will be hinted, and once a page is
> isolated it will not be counted in the zone free pages.
> Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct up to here. When we isolate the page it isn't counted
against the free pages. However after we complete the hint we end up
taking it out of isolation and returning it to the "free" state, so it
will be counted against the free pages.

> If I am understanding it correctly you only want to hint the idle pages,
> is that right?

Getting back to the ideas from our earlier discussion, we had 3 stages
for things. Free but not hinted, isolated due to hinting, and free and
hinted. So what we would need to do is identify the size of the first
pool that is free and not hinted by knowing the total number of free
pages, and then subtract the size of the pages that are hinted and
still free.

> >> --
> >> Regards
> >> Nitesh
> >>
> --
> Regards
> Nitesh

  Last update: 2019-03-08 22:40    [W:0.282 / U:0.472 seconds]