SubjectRe: [RFC][Patch v9 2/6] KVM: Enables the kernel to isolate guest free pages
Date
On 3/8/19 2:25 PM, Alexander Duyck wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 11:10 AM Nitesh Narayan Lal <nitesh@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> If nothing else we could probably look at doing a watermark of some
>>> sort so we have to have X amount of memory free but not hinted before
>>> we will start providing the hints. It would just be a matter of
>>> tracking how much memory we have hinted on versus the amount of memory
>>> that has been pulled from that pool.
>> This is to avoid false OOM in the guest?
> Partially, though it would still be possible. Basically it would just
> be a way of determining when we have hinted "enough". Basically it
> doesn't do us much good to be hinting on free memory if the guest is
> already constrained and just going to reallocate the memory shortly
> after we hinted on it. The idea is with a watermark we can avoid
> hinting until we start having pages that are actually going to stay
> free for a while.
>
>>> It is another reason why we
>>> probably want a bit in the buddy pages somewhere to indicate if a page
>>> has been hinted or not as we can then use that to determine if we have
>>> to account for it in the statistics.
>> The one benefit which I can see of having an explicit bit is that it
>> will help us to have a single hook away from the hot path within buddy
>> merging code (just like your arch_merge_page) and still avoid duplicate
>> hints while releasing pages.
>>
>> I still have to check PG_idle and PG_young which you mentioned but I
>> don't think we can reuse any existing bits.
> Those are bits that are already there for 64b. I think those exist in
> the page extension for 32b systems. If I am not mistaken they are only
> used in VMA mapped memory. What I was getting at is that those are the
> bits we could think about reusing.
>
>> If we really want to have something like a watermark, then can't we use
>> zone->free_pages before isolating to see how many free pages are there
>> and put a threshold on it? (__isolate_free_page() does a similar thing
>> but it does that on per request basis).
> Right. That is only part of it though since that tells you how many
> free pages are there. But how many of those free pages are hinted?
> That is the part we would need to track separately and then then
> compare to free_pages to determine if we need to start hinting on more
> memory or not.
Only pages which are isolated will be hinted, and once a page is
isolated it will not be counted in the zone free pages.
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
If I am understanding it correctly you only want to hint the idle pages,
is that right?

--
Regards
Nitesh

  Last update: 2019-03-08 20:40    [W:0.107 / U:0.124 seconds]