SubjectRe: [RFC][Patch v9 0/6] KVM: Guest Free Page Hinting
On 07.03.19 19:53, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 10:45:58AM -0800, Alexander Duyck wrote:
>> To that end what I think w may want to do is instead just walk the LRU
>> list for a given zone/order in reverse order so that we can try to
>> identify the pages that are most likely to be cold and unused and
>> those are the first ones we want to be hinting on rather than the ones
>> that were just freed. If we can look at doing something like adding a
>> jiffies value to the page indicating when it was last freed we could
>> even have a good point for determining when we should stop processing
>> pages in a given zone/order list.
>>
>> In reality the approach wouldn't be too different from what you are
>> doing now, the only real difference would be that we would just want
>> to walk the LRU list for the given zone/order rather then pulling
>> hints on what to free from the calls to free_one_page. In addition we
>> would need to add a couple bits to indicate if the page has been
>> hinted on, is in the middle of getting hinted on, and something such
>> as the jiffies value I mentioned which we could use to determine how
>> old the page is.
>
> Do we really need bits in the page?
> Would it be bad to just have a separate hint list?
>
> If you run out of free memory you can check the hint
> list, if you find stuff there you can spin
> or kick the hypervisor to hurry up.
>
> Core mm/ changes, so nothing's easy, I know.

We evaluated the idea of busy spinning on some bit/list entry a while
ago. While it sounds interesting, it is usually not what we want and has
other negative performance impacts.

Talking about "marking" pages, what we actually would want is to rework
the buddy to skip over these "marked" pages and only really spin in case
there are no other pages left. Allocation paths should only ever be
blocked if OOM, not if just some hinting activity is going on on another
VCPU.

However as you correctly say: "core mm changes". New page flag?
Basically impossible. Reuse another one? Can easily get horrbily
confusing and can easily get rejected upstream. What about the buddy
wanting to merge pages that are marked (assuming we also want something
< MAX_ORDER - 1)? This smells like possibly heavy core mm changes.

Lesson learned: Avoid such heavy changes. Especially in the first shot.

The interesting thing about Nitesh's aproach right now is that we can
easily rework these details later on. The host->guest interface will
stay the same. Instead of temporarily taking pages out of the buddy, we
could e.g. mark them and make the buddy or other users skip over them.

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb

  Last update: 2019-03-07 20:29    [W:0.113 / U:0.292 seconds]